CPE a literatura

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 38
poprzednia |
Cześć! W ciągu 2 lat, może 2,5 zamierzam zdawać CPE i wiem, że muszę dużo czytać, bo to znacznie wzbogaca słownik i utrwala gramatykę. Mam zamiar przeplatać teksty naukowe, literaturę piękną i beletrystykę (uwielbiam sci-fi, nie pogardzę też dobrą pozycją fantasy, czy inną, szeroko pojętą fantastyką, albo dobrym reportażem ;)), zastanawiam się więc, co możecie mi polecić. Myślałam nad takimi czasopismami jak National Geographic, Scientific American pewnie będzie za trudne ze względu na mnogość stricte technicznego słownictwa. Jakie inne periodyki polecacie? Jakich pisarzy literackich 'zbadaliście' i czyje książki wydają się wam odpowiednie?

Interesują mnie też sposoby na rozwijanie umiejętności słuchania. Oglądam filmy bez polskich napisów, ale jeszcze z angielskimi, bo wkurza mnie, jak czegoś nie dosłyszę, a zbyt intensywne wsłuchiwanie się odbiera nieco przyjemności z oglądania ;) Poza tym na myśl przychodzi mi na razie jedynie słuchanie BBC. Nie mam tu oczywiście na myśli słuchania pasywnego za zasadzie włączania radia jako tła (czego też nie wykluczam), ale faktyczne wsłuchiwanie się w rozmowę. Macie jakieś inne sprawdzone pomysły? Ile mniej więcej godzin tygodniowo należałoby co najmniej na taką aktywność poświęcić, aby przynosiła owoce?

Mają to być elementy mojej pracy własnej, ale na pewno zapiszę się też na kurs.

Pozdrawiam i liczę na merytoryczne wypowiedzi :)

SG
Hello SG,

I could recommend reading The Economist and National Geographic because they use different, but sophisticated, language there. If it comes to listening, I think that BBC podcasts are a great way to refine this ability. There is a wide array of those on http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/ I also strongly believe that one should write a lot using the vocab heard and/or read in order to memorise it and use naturally. Reading an article or two a day while commuting and listening to a radio programme every day would be sufficient.

Best regards,
PA
Dzięki za pomoc! The Economist na pierwszy rzut oka zdaje się całkiem przyjemnym magazynem. Lwia część artykułów dotyczy polityki (okazja żeby być bardziej na bieżąco z wydarzeniami na świecie), biznesu i ekonomii znacznie mniej, co osobiście mi pasuje, bo nie przepadam za taką tematyką, nuży mnie ;)

Co do pisania, to przetestuję, jak mi pójdzie z pisaniem bloga.

Pozdrawiam,
SG
Just to round out what PA said. I presume that you’re not starting ab initio , then reiterating the argument of systematic reading and listening being of vital importance is pointless.
You might find it difficult but limiting your exposure to your mother tongue may dramatically help to improve your cognitive abilities in faster absorption of new words and sounds.
Just become an addict.:) Start thinking in English language as though it was your native one using various grammatical structures and words you hear and read. Even if your thoughts are clumsy and incoherent (as mine for example:) don’t give up on that and keep thinking. When we think in our native language we “pronounce” the words in our mind and then transfer them into speech , do we ? Try to apply the same scheme but in English. Good luck with your "thinking" :)
*don't
Naye, I'm obviously not starting ab initio, I've just got an A in CAE. :) What you've proposed seems to be quite a drastic solution, but bound to be worth of effort, so I'm definitely going to try it out. :)

Thanks a lot,
SG
hej- polecam The Guardian, Newsweek oraz Time( dostępne także online)- w moim przypadku przyniosło efekty:)
< Naye, I'm obviously not starting ab initio, I've just got an A in CAE. :)

Then you know what to do :) Just devour everything what you can lay your hands on.:)
I cannot agree that, even if one is quite advanced compared to CPE level, treating reading and listening as a vital part of preparations is pointless. During reading we learn new words and revise known expressions. Furthermore, we gain the ability to read fast with the same high level of understanding. Hence, reading faster means more time on the exam. The same goes with listening - understanding different accents better. Nevertheless, I completely agree with the rest of your suggestions. Very good point there :)
< then reiterating the argument of systematic reading and listening being of vital importance is pointless.

Dear PA. Please read this again.:) ...reiterating ...... is pointless.
to my mind, you can understand this in two ways:

1. it's so obvious that it doesn't have to be repeated
2. it's pointless because other things are more important

judging by how you've presented it - you meant the first option. Am I right ? ;) I've understood it the other way around.
It can be and should be understood in only one way : no 1 ( your ref)

Reiterating the argument of ...BLAH , BLAH , BLAH.. is pointless (because SG is not starting from scratch or whatever.. )

Reiterating the argument = subject
is pointless = predicate
being = acts as a participle expressing reason

Reagrds :)
*regards

Sorry , my thoughts are functioning faster than my hands or other way round :)
Wow, a guy earns an "A" and suddenly he gets all snooty and uppity. Sheesh. :))

Savvy, pls go read my drivel! The "polskie seriale" one is funnier (reflects my writing style, not compromised by editorial comments.)
Hi sweety :) the quality of being a hoity-toity big-head is completely alien to my main personal trait and you know it :)

Btw , where is your speech sample ? Don't be shy :)
I've already read your thoughts on all that stuff about Polish language.
Quite healthy and reasonable approach of yours :)
Wydaje mi sie ze robisz sie zarozumaily...przechodzisz na "dark side" :)

>Quite healthy and reasonable approach of yours :)

My writing is not making you swoon with admiration? Sigh.
Gdzie tam ja i zarozumialstwo dear, musiałbym na now sie urodzić, naprawde.

Your writing has always been brilliantly worded in the most pellucid and persuasive manner. That is why it doesn't need to be praised.

Jeszcze nie przeczytałem do końca o polskich serialach to ide poczytać :)
speech sample: Yeah, I guess I have to post one. I was counting on getting some honest feedback from you in person so I could spare myself the humiliation of posting on the forum. Maybe I'll work on it over the weekend.
Please do and I promise to post mine again but improved drastically this time.

..veracity.. now you're talking :) liked it
In general 'pointless' has negative connotations and thus was regarded by me as the second option. According to Cambridge dictionary 'pointless' means:
"Something that has no purpose and it is a waste of time doing it"
Let's not discuss this any further because it is unnecessary :)
In no way did I propend to spat but please don’t flood logic putting your point in danger of being more equivocated.:)
I believe that the fact of the “emanating” the negative undertones has nothing to do with the nub of the matter in our sentence. This discussion would’ve been superfluous if you had indentified the both subject and predicate (which are – “reiterating the argument” and “is pointless”) of the sentence in the first place. I rest my case.

Why should one be apprehensive of an in-depth and healthy discussion which yields the both mental and verbal dexterity of our mind ?
As they say quote, “discussion is an exchange of knowledge; argument is an exchange of ignorance”, unquote.:) , though again , the latter is quite mootable in my opinion , isn’t it ? :)
Straying from the overriding subject of your quite verbous exchange I'd like to inquire of Mr.SR,with no intention whatsoever of sounding too intrusive, the following;How long have you been studying English?Just for the record,I'm not a spy or a groupie sort of person, but may be rather delineated as slighlty gobsmacked:P BestRegards
“Yet more circumlocutory and verbous for extempore-speech” :)
Yes ,Maciek I believe ?:)your “verbous”-I liked it :),nobody uses this,say “primeval form sunk into oblivion “of our mutate“ verbose any longer, and rightly so.:) Or may be not ?

Indeed, to a certain degree, I would relate to the argument of being excessively tautological but this proclivity (this word is always used rather negatively, you see I avow myself :) shouldn’t be ascribed to swankiness and pompousness of my character of which qualities some tend to accuse me steadily. I’m tired to restate that in fact the reverse is true. :(

Just for the record right ? :)
For various reasons, which I’m not going to mention here because I don’t want to draw the ire of jaundiced, imposterous and lobous locusts(or hermit crabs?) spitting out their imbecilic rhetoric on me ( no disrespect intended please, it’s just a loose metaphor:) I would just limit myself to saying that English has always been my passion since I was knee-high. But it was actually in Jan this year when I really got my head down to learning and started digging into books trying to systematize my knowledge.

But in fact I don’t think you should be slanted towards any nonplussation and perplexity ,even to a lesser extent as you say, as my writing is not something of a real humdinger(and it’s not pretended modesty but a sober self-assessment)
But as judging by your post alone, you don’t seem destitute of the intellectual capacity to read between the lines. :) I hope I satisfied your curiosity.
Regards
And when did you start listening to the radio station you once mentioned, if I may ask?
Hi buddy , old good storm trooper Pakk , you still like me ? :) You may ask me whatever you want ,Sir, but except for PIN no for my Visa card. :)

Don't really remember but I think it is not of critical importance when but how often.I guess it was also in Jan or may be earlier when I became an addict literally glued to my earphones every single day ,at least 7 hours a day with some breaks of course, you know for the loo and "mastication" of some food. hahaha.It wasn't just one radio station.
I was listening (and I still do :) to various radio stations ,podcats, talk shows etc. including british and american with the latter predominated.I became an addict of the highest order. The should call the DEA on me :)
It was also then when my old lady said that she would "settle in splittsville" if I didn't stop. But I didn't and she's still in the saddle as usual.:)
But I think we shouldn't abandon the idea of loose reading with the both frequency and regularity maintaned in increasing rate.
Sometimes the pain is just unbearable.
Hey, are you okay?
"phantom" pain again?
Didn't the rehab help at all?

Switching gears: since you are abandoning me to my own devices in your beloved Wawa, I thought we could talk about "topophilia" ...slow down tiger, it's not what you think.
Oh yeah, I have to send you a photo....repeat after me: "slow down tiger, it's not what you think."

Any suggestions?
Have I piqued your curiosity?
:)
Hi Sav:

topophilia: you misunderstood my meaning a little bit. I wasn't interested in the typical sights/sounds of Wawa. I wanted to know if there is a tiny part of the city that YOU love best. The smell of the earth/flowers in a special park, a favourite bakery, a book/music store, the cacophony of downtown streets, a bridge. I think you get my drift.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 38
poprzednia |

« 

Programy do nauki języków

»

Pomoc językowa