Fans of English

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Strange that great fans of the English language, who triumphantly announce the superiority of the British nation and everything that is connected with being a Briton, who also provide prolixes elaborating on how proficient they are in the language in question don;t bother to write all of it in English;> The question comes up, why is that so?
Let'ts wait for some longer utterances from these poeple than 2 or three short sentences.

So Alakina Mann, I'm daring you;) But you';re probably too big a coward to accept it;)

Rgds,
Kociamama.
Dear Kociamama :)

dDoes love of English mean that people think that English nation and culture in general is superior?:) (It's a question for you and for other people who would be kind enough to join, not a challenge or something) As far as I am concerned, I think that GB (or any other country) is neither superior nor inferior to any other state. Of course, my strong feelings to the language are inseparably connected with urge to know about the culture as much as possible ! That's why I love English literature (especially Novel and Drama ) , history (especially Tudor times), geography.. and many other factors, which I failed to mention, but which are crucial to form the culture of a particular country.

I agree that all the people claiming they are proficient/advanced/ intermediate may as well write in English. After all, this website is created for people who'd like to brush up their language, and get to know more about the culture of English speaking countries, not necessarily England, but also Scotland, Wales, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, USA.. Malta :D and many others :)

Cheers !! :)
Agus.
Dear Kociamama
I do respect your lines here, as you always write good comments. I must share your opinion, she will not join us in English. No use daring her, it is not your level.
P.s. Has anyone already talked to the webmaster, anyway? I guess that something could be done to prevent this person from writing her comments.. it's appalling that every plot ends up with quarrels. People cannot acquire any knowledge in such conditions..
To tell you the truth, I don't claim that, let's say British literature is my passion. I mean, I do enjoy reading books but i pursue my interests thematically rather than nation-oriented. For me the English language is a tool which enables me to read literature written in this language, but not necesseraily of British origin. I read books by American, Australian and Canadian writers as well, as primarily it is the contents of the book, not the nationality of the writer that I pay attention to.

I wouldn't dare say that I'm knowledgeable in the area of literature, either. I derive pleasure from reading about certain subjects, but I don't think myslef a sort of expert. I more of a layman.

Rgds,
Kociamama.
I agree.A person using this nick was quite active and unfriendly before entering english forum on spanish or french forum- I don't remember clearly now.
Something should be done with it.
Everyone who feels offended by this person can just search for her nick in these two sections-it seems to me it was the spanish one and find out who she is and what kind of a person. At odds with common belief internet doesn't guarantee anonimity .What you did once can be traced back all over the web.
All users should remember this and respect other users.
Yesterday she gave a real show. But, strangely enough, two boys aged 15 ( thanks boys- I am proud of you) gave her a good lesson. She couldn't stand it as they were chasing here all over the ang.pl, and she gave up. She wanted to hear from my students, and so she did.
I am not for such actions, but that was the exception.
Good day!
About the case....
English for me is an unexpected gift... Why..? .. During my primary and secondary school I was found as a very poor student. I had nothing in common with any subject, all my grades hardly let me go through the semesters, even though I attended to rather average schools, where teachers didn't require too much involvement. I hadn't got any particular plans for studies or even for the future. But in the 2nd year of high school I got opportunity to go abroad (London). I spent there my holiday working and familiarizing with english language and culture. I spent there only 3 months, but this appeared to be enough to become fascinated with the language and the culture. After I came back I started some additional english courses( that was the 2nd class of high school). As a result, after only two years of learning english, I did pass my entrance exams to University and I have managed to start english filology recently.
The way I see English is that it is primarily a tool for me. I like to think I'm quite good but I wouldn't engage in any competitions to prove the point. I started off by translating song lyrics of a band/band I was into and went on from there. Quite by chance I went to England, which secured me a well-paid job when I came back but that's about it, really. I've never really liked Shakespeare, I can't give a monkey's about British customs and traditions, about superiority or inferiority of any culture or language and I find people pretending to be 'almost British' pathetic.
Just remembered, when I was going to London one girl on the coach informed the scared first-timers (it was the time when going there was a bit of a lottery) that since she'd been to Britain three times, she's practically British and then spoke to the customs officer through an interpreter.
No comments from Alakina Mann... ;-)
Why?
Doesn't she look through this forum (I mean the "English only" one) from time to time?
What is striking about her is this, that she 'comes from' the Spanish forum on this site, where she was still writing that English was the most beautiful language in the world and she didn't find Spanish worth learning (but she learned this language perfectly, remember;-)). Anyway, she wished she had not learned this language, because it isn't as useful as English.
As to this last sentence, I agree, but... where's our 'life of an Englishman'?
Oh God... what a blunder!
It should have been "wife" not "life" ;-)
Do you want her back? You write as if you do.
I seem to be the most interested in her staying off.Never in my life have I been winded up that much.
She wanted my students to come in action, so they did and taught her a nice lesson.
Well, let's sleeping dog lie.....though the devil never sleeps!
so here she is. In Szkoły w Łodzi she wrote COLLEGE NAJGORSZY.
That's about my school. But after all she has shown about herself I would be borken down if she claimed my school is good.
Me? Never. Our website is for learning, helping each other but not for announcing how 'perfect' we are.
fine.
what about british exams?
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa