Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meal

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Hi!

I would like to know why does Jamie Oliver title his book "J.O's 30 MINUTE meal" and not J.O's 30 MINUTES meal"

Why minute and not minutes?

Thank for answer ;]
There are two ways of using time phrases as 'adjectives' before nouns:
two days' journey
a two-day journey
As you can see, it is possible not to use the Saxon genitive in such cases. I cannot see a hyphen between 30 and minute in the title of the book, but it is just a punctuation problem. The reason why he did not use the Saxon genitive was probably that there is already a gentivie phrase at the very beginning of the title. Two genitives would not look good together.

PS. No inversion in reported questions: ..to know why JO titled his book...
Now I see that you need an additional explanation: the plural is not used in such adjectives as two-day, etc. It is actually hardly ever used when a plural noun becomes an adjective. For example 'choroby płuc' translates to 'lung diseases', even though we have two lungs.
One notable exception that comes to mind is "sports" (not "sport") meaning "sportowy", e.g. a sports car, a sports club (although it's not an exception per se, but one could say it doesn't follow the pattern).

Also in pluralia tantum (when there is no singular form of a noun), e.g. an arms dealer/war.
An interesting insight: http://tinyurl.com/63a29pf
systems analyst
needs analysis
In my understanding, the "J.O's 30 MINUTE meal" is a meal J.O prepares in thirty minutes and "J.O's 30 MINUTES meal" is a meal that J.O. took thirty minutes to eat.

ok
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa - Sprawdzenie

»

Pomoc językowa - tłumaczenia