British lifestyle

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
What are the characteristics of British lifestyle?
nearly every day drinking in the pub after work
hi-hi Ciapek, niezle! A mowi(lo) sie, ze Polacy to rozpity narod!

Co do lifestyle...duzo moznaby pisac. Zaleznie od \"kolka wzajemnej adoracji\". Sa ludzie, ktorzy aktywnie zajmuja sie sportem (golf, krykiet, bowls, darts, pool, snooker, pilka nozna); podstawa jednak to \"pub\" nie ma dwoch zdan, chociaz teraz jest mniej pubow niz kiedys (100/50 lat temu). Nastepne to moze \"eating out\" ale tez masz sporo fanatykow \"healthy eating\" co takze wizytuja \"gym\" kilka razy w tygodniu. Sa ludzie, ktorzy zarabiaja b. malo a jednak znajduja czas i pieniadze na takie przyjemnosci w zyciu jak \"betting on horses\". Troche teatru, troche kina...., \"shop till you drop\", \"friday night out\" - prosto po pracy, z ludzmi z biura. Popularne jest upijanie sie podczas \"leaving do\" - jak tylko ktos odchodzi z pracy to sie umawia na miescie w jednym z pubow, zadko sie zostaje w jednym pubie, czesciej sie robi \"pub crawl\". Jest jeszcze cos takiego jak \"bingo\" ale to chyba glownie dla kobiet w srednim wieku. Co do pubow to niektore organizuja \"quizy\" i \"karaoke\" (chyba tak sie to literuje).
Ogolnie wiek nie wplywa na to jak ludzie udzielaja sie towarzysko (w ten czy inny sposob). Mlodzi bawia sie ze starszymi na imprezach, autobusy pan w dawno emerytalnym wieku moga zasiac taki chaos na parkiecie, ze kazdy malolat sie moze schowac. Co jeszcze? \"hen parties\" i \"stag nights\" - nie bede sie rozwodzic, wystarczy ze napisze \"kompletny amok\" (w Amsterdamie albo Dublinie).

no...niech ktos pomoze...
Man, those pages are loading up ever so sloooooow today.....(Sunday!!!)

In any case, in a nutshell:

soccer, rugby, golf, cricket ( as pointed out by Cebulka)
fish and chips
Royal Family obsession
scandals and tabloids/ gossip
dry humor
blend food
terrible dialects! (squirrel in heat type of thing)
and BEER!!!!! (num nums)

:) ;) :)
o ja pierdziu!
alez mi dalas invaluable info! CMOKAS wielki za to:*
Dzieki.

Jesli jeszcze bede potrzebowal czegos nt. British culture to zglosze sie do Ciebie if you don\'t mind...;D
\"Durszlak\"...forget the squirrel in heat when doing your homework, please...

;)
Hi Sk8er;D thanks...
In that case, will you please give some (or may be a lot;) regarding American lifestyle. In fact, I need this as well...
nice one sk8ter!
:o)

mmmmm...
fish and chips... salt&vinegar, no mushy peas!

wlasnie mi przypomniales: \"take aways\"! i \"off licence\"
:)
or paraphrase \"heat\" as \"a heatwave\" :-)
sure, just a few off the top of my head...

the biggest past time of all Americans is FOOTBALL (NFL) and also college (CFL) ...huge money grabber.

America is a Fast Food Land...anything from burgers ( burger heaven for those who like ground beef) to hot dogs, New York Fries, Fajitas, Tacos, etc, etc...Sky\'s the limit...big cash cow.

Talk about food you will have to mention \"McDonalds\", otherwise known as McPuke or McBarf (not suitable for mentioning in your homework!...btw. the quality of their burgers just isn\'t there any more. A lot of times they are thinnner than a sheet of paper ).

big SUVs...they have always been in love with big cars from old heavy metal clankers and gaslers to whatever the SUV industry offers today.
Americans like everything big...quantity wise and size wise ( that oftentimes puts quality under a big question mark )

huge and undoubtly great movie industry ( you can say lots in here)
Oscars, Grammy\'s etc. ( you can also mention Disney, great cartoons, etc, etc)

Great music industry again...world wide popular ...anything from pop, rock, R&B, jazz, and...of course, COUNTRY...you can mention the Great Ole Opry in Nashville Tennessee...very big industry in US.

I have to run and I could probably come up with a lot more but that will give you something to work for now and hopefully someone else might want to add a thing or two, please.

PS. Don\'t forget political scandals...Americans like them just as much as the Britts love gossip...remember poor Monica and the ever popular cigar scandal...that made the Americans go wild big time!!!!

Skater87.
THAAAAANKKSS!!! Huh... But for you, I would be dead...
;D
Durszlak, I made a mistake..CFL stands for Canadian Football League (duuuh). American College Football ( and all college sports) is NCAA...National Collegiate Athletic Association. :)
Cebulka, or anyone else that knows the answer....
I am guessing that \"take aways\" are north American \"take outs\" (food take outs) but what\'s \"off license\" refer to? ....

alcohol, skejtuś
In what sense, alkohol, Rit Skit?
Is it the same as our \"off sales\" booze?.....

I meant alCohol...( man, my spelling sucks) :)
na Amer. filmie slyszalam jak taki skep nazywali \"liquor store\"
skejtuś, licence tutaj dotycza posiadanego dokumentu zezwalajacego na sprzedaz alkoholu:)
Off Licence allows the sale of intoxicating liquor for consumption off/away from the premises and can be granted for the sale of \'All Intoxicants\' or limited to \'Beer, Cider and Wine\'.
off licence -> Sklep Monopolowy
Thanks Cebulka and Ritek Skitek....I know about liquor stores cause that\'s what we have here but the \"off-license\" thing was something new to me. The liquor laws are different in every province. Here in B.C., believe it or not, government owns all the liquor stores.... but it\'s supoosed to change real soon. Apart from that we have some \"beer and wine\" stores that are privately owned (nothing in high alcohol content).

PS. by the way...the \"off sales\" deal is when you purchase alcohol from beear and wine stores ....not a smart thing because the prices are overinflated but people do it anyways.
Do you have alcohol \"home deliveries\"? We do - a new \"invention\", don\'t know where it came from...
:o)
Isn\'t that something, Cebulek,...???? I never heard of it, eventhough it only makes sense...if you can have a taco or Chinese food delivered to your house, why can\'t you have a bottle of beer come to your doorstep as well? ... after all, it washes down nicely with some good chow....m.m.m.
Since you guys already have it, it might be only a matter of time before we will have it too. I am not sure about US...maybe they have it too in some States....
What\'s your favorite food when it comes to foreign foods...I am sure you have a huge ethnic population in England too????

:) :) :)
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Studia językowe

»

FCE - sesja letnia 2004