good wives guide

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Here\'s an extract from a 1950s (some say ‘60s) Home Economics textbook.

\"Good Wives Guide\"

\"Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favourite dish) is part of the welcome needed.

Prepare yourself. Take fifteen minutes to rest so you\'ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in you hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc and then run a dust cloth over the tables. Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children\'s hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair, and if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

Minimise all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer and vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him. Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home to relax.

Your goal. Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquillity where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit. Don\'t greet him with complaints and problems. Don\'t complain if he\'s late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low soothing and pleasant voice. Don\'t ask him about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have not right to question him.

A good wife always knows her place.\"
Hi, Cebulka, I have something special for you...good wives of 2004:

Husband: Honey, I am hooooome!
wife: Kids, turn the TV down, I think it might be your father coming back home.
Hi, Cebulka, I have something special for you...good wives of 2004:

Husband: Honey, I am hooooome!
wife: Kids, turn the TV down, I think it might be your father coming back home.
my computer is acting up...give me a minute
husband: I am hooome!
wife: kids, quick, open the door, I think your father is coming back!
h: where is everybody? Sweetie, where are you?
w: I have to finish my nails and in half an hour I am seeing my hairdresser.
h: Oh, OK. anything for dinner today?
w: well, we got some canned stuff - your favorite ham and bean soup. Takes you five minutes to warm it up. Look in the freezer, Mike left some Mc Donald ice cream in there for you. Not much, a small left over but it should be enough and it\'s your favorite too - maple walnut!
H: Man, I am beat! You think I could sit down and relax for a second first.
w: Oh, sure, you know where the can opener is, take your time!
H: It would be nice if one of the kids or you could whip something up for me real qiuckly - while I am resting.
W: I don\'t know what\'s WRONG with YOU? Got broken arms? And please, don\'t try to get our daughter involved in things like dinners - she is seeing her boyfriend in a few minutes. Sigismund means everything to her! And, Michael, btw is going out to pick his nose with his buddies. You DO know how important the peer pressure is nowadays!???
H: Oh, I do dear, I do. Where can I lie down? It seems like the laundry is all over the couch. And...Wow, what is that? Whose iguana is that?
W: he is totally harmless and cheap to feed which can\'t be said about other individuals living in this house...hmhmhmhm (wife thinking: his soup alone cost me 99 cents, I can\'t afford splurging on him like that anymore!)
H: Sweetie Pie, I am really really tired, is there anything else lying on our bed upstairs that I should be aware of?
W: oh, not much...just a few bras and some women underwear that I haven\'t had the time to clean up. Just chuck it all on the floor! I will be home after ten, I will tidy it up then.

Husband from upstairs: Chist! did you put a pin cushion in our bed? What is that???
Jees, sorry sweets, it must be Michael\'s pet porcupine. I told him to keep that thing locked out of our bedroom. Boy, am I ever glad it wasn\'t me!
H: ach, that\'s all right ...is our dog\'s blanket still by the fire place? I think I will rest on it for a few minutes, if it\'s OK with you?
W: Oh, sweetheart, don\'t make me sad, but Perky didn\'t sleep well last night and he needs some rest in the worst way. I have an idea! You know, the tent is still in the backyard....plenty of room for you and nobody will bother you.
H: Thanks, baby, I don\'t know what I would do without you!
W: Oh, I know, you need a strong role model in your life and you are so LUCKY you\'ve found one in me! I can be the envy of all husbands!

H: Yes, dear! So where is the can opener?
Forgot to mention your description sounds very much like \"Stepford Wives\" - the new movie! Good cast, supposedly good movie as well...

:O)
I have just watched the trailer! \"must see\" - for me.
:o)
Cool, Cebulek! I am glad you liked it! It\'s time to go and see the movie too. Who is your favorite actress in that movie? As for guys, I think it\'s just Matthew Broderic that plays the main role...you like him too?

:)
I quite like Bette Midler and Glenn Close. The latter for her performance in Dangerous Liaisons. Matthew Broderick - dear Lord! Remeber \"War Games\", early \'80s?
I don\'t think so but I watched him as a young kid in \"Ferris Bueller\'s Day Off\" and he looked soooo young! Now he is married to Sarah Jessica Parker and they got a kid together from what I know (maybe two by now...I don\'t know) She is so tall and always towering over him.
I like Bette Middler too. She is always so chirpy and so down to earth, she doesn\'t seem to have this \"superstardom\" aura around her that would make her stuffy and unpleasant. Besides she giggles a lot, she seems so upbeat and happy. And she\'s got a great voice too!
Have you got any favorite talk shows?
:0)
talk shows? Is this where a host invites some celebrities or other famous people to his/her show and the audience laughs their heads off? :o)
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

FCE - sesja letnia 2004

»

Pomoc językowa