jak tam olimpiada???

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
31-60 z 74
CPE plus? Kurczę, nawet nie wiedziałem, że jestem taki dobry. ;) Może w takim razie pomyślę o podejściu do CPE w sesji zimowej.

Ale CPE+ to już pewnie finał. A jak byś ocenił trudność wcześniejszych etapów?

Pozdrowienia
S.Krawczyk
Pagina:
> Kultórówka to pewnie amerykańska i brytyjska, co?

Owszem. Poszukaj na stronie WOE (www.woe.edu.pl), jest tam podany spis zagadnień na rok 2004/2005. Z tym że spis nie wyczerpuje wszystkiego, bo mogą Cię np. zapytać o Church of England albo Alamo. Albo o prasę brytyjską. Ale bardzo szczegółowych pytań raczej nie ma. Poza tym przy odrobinie szczęścia można naprowadzić komisję na tę dziedzinę, z której jesteś dobra (przynajmniej w Poznaniu).

W finale teoretycznie są także inne kraje angielskiego obszaru językowego. Ale ja nie miałem z nich ani jednego pytania. Gdzieś tylko na chwilę przewinęły się Walia, Irlandia i Szkocja, ale to głównie w kontekście języków celtyckich.

> Gr! Duzo lektur do pzreczytania?

Na etap okręgowy trzeba znać 3 z literatury brytyjskiej i 3 z amerykańskiej. Na finał odpowiednio 4 i 4. Nie wszystkie muszą być z listy podanej w wytycznych (można się pokusić mniej więcej o połowę lektur własnych).

> czy na Olimpiadzie w liceum sa odejmowane punkty za,powiedzmy,
> inną niż komisyjna interpretację tekstu, inny szyk zdań etc.?

Jeżeli nie ma błędu, to raczej nie. Przynajmniej ja się z czymś takim nie spotkałem. Oczywiście jeżeli napiszesz coś wyjątkowo nienaturalnie, a tylko teoretycznie poprawnie, to mogą Ci tego nie uznać.

Pozdrowienia
Scobin
Gosh, sorry for writing this post in English, but I do think that this is the only language to implicate to you that I'm in mourning. :) And everything because of this horrid OJA... Dobra, nie przerażam się, najpierw niech mnie do LO przyjmą:) Podziwiam Was, naprawdę... Jakoś nigdy nie pzrepadałam za nauką historii czy kultury państw anglosaskich. Wiadomo, piękne zdjęcia, legendy, to moze być ciekawe, byle by zbyt wiele dat nie było.
Scobin, skoro tak daleko zaszedłeś z OJA, to CPE zdałbyś na przerwie śniadaniowej w swojej Szkole między jedną kanapeczką a drugą:) Jestem tego pewna. Skoro ja, gimnazjalistka, zdalam? Retorycznie:)
A, lektury własne... Czy naprawdę narażam się na Wasz śmiech pytając, czy"Harry Potter" też się liczy? I umieścic to w kontekście kulturowym... Dobra, nie śmiejcie się:)
Jeszcze raz dziękuję za informacje i gratuluję.
Pagina
Pagina:
>Gosh, sorry for writing this post in English, but I do think that
>this is the only language to implicate to you that I'm in mourning. :)
>And everything because of this horrid OJA...

Fear not. Judging by how you write and how early you have passed the CPE exam, your chances should be quite high. Have you seen the school tests yet?

> Jakoś nigdy nie pzrepadałam za nauką historii
> czy kultury państw anglosaskich.

Nie trzeba wiedzieć aż tak dużo. Jeżeli się zaweźmiesz, to przez przerwę bożonarodzeniową dasz radę się nauczyć. ;-)

>A, lektury własne... Czy naprawdę narażam się na Wasz śmiech pytając,
>czy"Harry Potter" też się liczy? I umieścic to w kontekście
>kulturowym... Dobra, nie śmiejcie się:)

Ja się nie śmieję, bo sam chciałem wziąć HP jako jedną z lektur. Pisano wtedy, że nie mam żadnych szans na przejście do finału. No cóż... ;o) Ale może to dobrze, że komentarze były tak ostre, bo dzięki nim zmieniłem plany -- i wyszło mi to na dobre.

Generalnie jednak Harry'ego odradzam. Sądzę, że komisje będą wolały ambitniejsze pozycje. Za to na przykład "Władca Pierścieni" już może być.

>Jeszcze raz dziękuję za informacje i gratuluję.

Dzięki. Życzę powodzenia!

Z pozdrowieniami
Scobin
Scobin, have you seen "The light of my eyes", or so? This information is something of that kind for me as we, pupils from lower high school have always been bombarded with misinformation and quasi-facts about OJA... :( poor kids. :(
Well, when it comes to HP and the book's, erm, position - if I may call it like that - it's obviously not very sophisticated. Undoubtedly, it's strikingly popular. "TLoTR" is not, alas, one of my dos. Well, but will sth by Dickens or - yes! - Roland Topor be accepted? He might be a controversial one, but...:) Sparks is off the list, I suppose:)
Yes, I've seen the tests; thank you for the link, Scobin:). Well, they're quite... nice (lost for words:) and CPE-like into the bargain. To tell you the truth - please don't think I'm boasting now ("On yer knees, peasants!" - it's not like that, ok?), but I downloaded OJA 2003 final tests and - well, yes... I'm not grieving anymore:) Well, I do admit that the writing exercise was kinda tricky, wasn't it? Ok, now I have to worry about my gim-tests (gr!) and about my LO (gr!).
My regards, gentlemen -
Pagina
Hmm, ja w sumie przeczytalem z pol ksiazki o kulturze angielskiej/amerykanskiej :P. Postanowilem zajac sie poszczegolnymi zagadnieniami (kazde dokladnie przebadac) i wyszlo mi to poniekad na dobre, wiec...
Aha, nie jestem do konca pewien, ale uwazaj na pozycje na liscie lektur typu Moby Dick bo jesli nie przeczytasz tego - zamiast tego przegladajac streszczenie - bardzo prawdopodobne jest, ze Cie przylapia na czyms (chyba po to takie lektury tam w sumie sa...). Moj kolega, ktory jest wszechstronnie utalentowany ;), potknal sie, gdy musial przyznac, ze nie przeczytal dwoch lektur.

Pytanko...na kartce, ktora otrzymalem kilka dni temu, jest miejsce na napisanie, ile lat finalist(k)a/laureat(ka) przebywal(a) w anglojezycznym kraju. Po glebszym zastanowieniu uznalem, ze napisze: -, bo w Anglii/Australii/USA (...) nigdy nie bylem. Ale i tak jestem ciekaw, czy to cos zmienia, jesli ktos napisze ze kilka lat spedzil w jednym z wyzej wymienionych panstw...
Pagina:
> This information is something of that kind for me as we, pupils from
> lower high school have always been bombarded with misinformation
> and quasi-facts about OJA... :( poor kids. :(

Interesting... What were you being told? Misinformation is quite common there, and you're obviously not the only ones to suffer. Some people in January were convinced that the oral examination could only give them 10 or 20 points, while the test was worth 140, and they hardly learnt for the former. Needless to say, they were at a serious disadvantage since both parts are graded, more or less, equally.

> "TLoTR" is not, alas, one of my dos.

No harm done. Although I was surprised to be asked questions -- in both auditions! -- concerning Tolkien's novel and no other (except for a short talk about "The Cather in the Rye"). Perhaps the enquirers wanted to see if I could stand up for my choice of readings.

> Well, but will sth by Dickens or - yes! - Roland Topor be accepted?
> He might be a controversial one, but...:)
> Sparks is off the list, I suppose:)

You should be fine with Dickens. No idea about Topor and Sparks, though.

>Yes, I've seen the tests; thank you for the link, Scobin:). Well,
>they're quite... nice (lost for words:) and CPE-like into the bargain.

"Into the bargain" -- I didn't know this one! See? I'm not as good as you might have thought at first sight. ;-) Especially in speaking. It's my personal belief that in the final oral exam I lost some points due to, erm... insufficient fluency.

I'll probably try to find opportunities to exercise before my plausible winter CPE-session.

>To tell you the truth - please don't think I'm boasting now
> ("On yer knees, peasants!" - it's not like that, ok?)

Sure it isn't. Still, it's a pleasure writing to you. And I learn something, too. :)

> Well, I do admit that the writing exercise was kinda tricky, wasn't it?

Was it. ;) There were people who got 10 points out of 29. There were some who got 3. Literally: three points out of twenty-nine. So when you write this test next spring, be extra careful. ;-)

Best regards,
Scobin
Hello. Ok, so what were they (the Mafia, of course:) telling me? Well, my view is that the opinions were exaggerated, as OJA is not as atrocious as it is thought to be. Actually, a lot of my friends from a local high school would always harass:) me, when I dared to merely mention about OJA. Let me translate:)"No way, girl, not on yer puff [by the way, Scobin - do you know Cockney?] The peeps there are kinda crazy, girl. Dons, they are. Don't ya try". And so on:) To recapitulate, I assume they considered OJA a travesty of REAL English. Nevertheless, I sat tight.

I find it constructive that the examiners (executioners??:) wanted to check what you had chosen. I do approve of this, as the classics is off the list for me. As far as I'm concerned, knowledge of poetry (I just love it:) should be tested. Or maybe it is? I guess so.

Hm. "Insufficient fluency". What do you mean? In spite of any, you're one of the winners, Mr Krawczyk, sir:) And, erm, have you ever visited an English-speaking country? I haven't. Poor kid:(

Have you ever tried any other competitions? Or do you concentrate on English or any other languages?

Oh, yes - I will be careful, I promise;) because I DO care:).

Yours sincerely
No wonder about what your older friends did. It's quite common that people who have managed to succeed in a tough competition, like OJA, or who at least have already taken part in it, form (sometimes even subconsciously, I believe) some clandestine circle of the enlightened. No need to be upset -- if you are good enough (and have the necessary bit of luck... But that never depends on you, so try not to think about it too much), you will eventually be on top of things.

The knowledge of poetry isn't tested. Or at least hasn't been in any case I know.

I don't know Cockney. Why are you asking?

I did check "into the bargain". "More than expected". Good; you learn something new every day.

Insufficient fluency means... well, insufficient fluency. Repeating some words which could be replaced with synonyms, taking an unusually deep breath before answering a difficult question (difficult in terms of vocabulary that must be used, or at least paraphrased)... Things like that are something I still have to fight against. Maybe I always will. I've never been to any English-speaking country, so that might have something to do. Still, it turns out such tours aren't mandatory.

I assume "any other competitions" means "any other >>olimpiadas
Well, I know exactly what you mean by a "clandestine circle of the enlightened", as I am an olympian (boasting:). It seems that we do form a kind of an in-group. However, it IS rather an ennoblement - at least in terms of social positions (I met with numerous cases when my peers endeavoured to keep up with the Joneses, if I may call it like that) than something that brings disgrace on us. Some olympians are said to be swots, though. Have you ever encountered such difficulties?

Cockney is the funniest slang - well, at least some expressions:)- according to my English teacher. I will definitely browse the Internet - perhaps they have an on-line dictionary?

What a pity my recitation skills will not be tested!:) All right, I will do with the classics.

How about my problems with English? I have a weakness for the modern literature and the news on TV, so I am the ruler:) when it comes to writing and listening exercises. Alas and alack, punctuation is my Achilles heel:(

Did you succeed in your OLiJP? I have no doubts - you must have won!

How long have you been studying English? Judging by how you write, quite long:) Do you attend a language school?

When it comes to my studying plans I will keep my mouth shut not to put a jinx on it:) (but it won't be anything connected with the languages)"I'm a superstitious girl/ I'm the worst in the world(...)":)
Best wishes,
Pagina
I'm about to go to Warsaw to take part in a competition in Polish and I'm learning heavily. So I'll answer your post around Monday, after my return. Please be patient. Skynet thanks you for your cooperation.

Scobin
Done. I'm back home. And not moving anywhere for some time now. Or at least I hope so.

Those clandestine circles of ours might be an ennoblement, sure; I don't deny that it usually requires great effort (or great skills, or both) to succeed in competitions we are talking about. But still, such success doesn't necessarily make us better men.

As for swots... I wouldn't call any olympian so. Competitions at this level always require a lot of time to prepare, but it's equally important to have an open mind and be capable of dealing with problems effectively. Neither knowledge nor skills could suffice alone.

I'm not particularly clever at punctuation either. General cultural information on English-speaking countries was also a little problematic for me. My favourite part in OJA was history and literature.

As for OLiJP... I've taken part in two finals. One last year, one last week. The first attempt only brought me the title of finalist; the recent one was slightly more succesful. In the end, I ended up as a "third-group" laureate. Details here: http://www.olijp.p9.pl/index.php?id=72.

Could've been worse, could've been better. All in all, I'm quite happy about the result.

I've been learning English for some thirteen years now. I don't have any experience with language schools, so it seems it's as unnecessary as visiting foreign countries. ;) Provided you have both skills and luck, that is.

Regards,
Scobin
Hi, how is it going?

Firstly: these competitions do make us better people... Well, not in terms as you seem to understand 'better' (however, this is only my assumption...:). Well, I've taken heart that I CAN make it, my respect for people has grown, I've found new hobbys and, yeah, let it sound affected and artificial, I've grown to treat other people's interests as equal and therefore worth exploring... fathoming even.

Secondly: I couldn't agree more.

Tertio: how is it, that to you (a guy, a man!) is history of interest? Stereotypes, I know, but I always see men as electronic engineers only:)

"Slightly more succesful"... (ironic). Congratulations. Congratulations. Congratulations (X3, as you're a "third-group" laureate). Lost for words, I am. By the way, is this what people call modesty or what I call prudery? Only joking; no prejudging, I don't know you.

Hey, I assume you're 19 so you must have started your English education when you were... 6? Am I right or is my maths crippled? When it comes to language schools: well, I would like to have sb to exchange (pseudo)philosophical thoughts with... not only via GG or forums. It comes in useful, for sure. But I've always been learning grammar and vocab on my own. It also depends on the school. Mine was great... Was, yeah.

OK, last but not least - I salute you. I admire you. Take care and so on:)

With love,
Pagina
Hello!

No more classes at school -- hurray! I've been trying to get some time for myself for quite a few days now and I'm glad this moment has finally come. I'll start learning around Monday; now there is time to celebrate. ;-)

>Firstly: these competitions do make us better people...

Sure, I agree with that. As long as we don't start looking down on other people, that is. That's why I used the words "not necessarily".

But I don't recall meeting any olympian who assumed such attitude, so it seems people are able to deal with this danger well. Paraphrasing your own words -- our respect for people can even grow because of experiencing on our own how amazing their skills and interests can turn out to be.

So yes, competitions often make us better than our former selves. But it's always up to us if we will really benefit from that. Hopefully, most olympians do.

>Tertio: how is it, that to you (a guy, a man!) is history of interest?
>Stereotypes, I know, but I always see men as electronic engineers
>only:)

Stereotypes, you know... ;-)

> Congratulations

Thanks. I'll copy this word and print it and hang it above my bed, I will. :-D

> By the way, is this what people call modesty or what I call prudery?

The former, I hope.

>Hey, I assume you're 19 so you must have started your English
>education when you were... 6?

Six or seven, I'm not sure now.

> well, I would like to have sb to exchange (pseudo)philosophical
> thoughts with... not only via GG or forums.

In case this is a question, the response is: scobin @ poczta.onet.pl (I've added the two unnecessary spaces so as not to make the spammers' job easier).

> Take care and so on:)

I'll try. Same to you!

Yours,
Scobin
Hi!

My exam awaiting me - something NOT to celebrate whatsoever:(

>But I don't recall meeting any olympian who assumed such attitude, so
>it seems people are able to deal with this danger well.
Well, I have, alas, met with olympians (in they hordes they came- oops! I begin to mix informal language with some more sophisticated structures:) who kept informing the others - with deliberation, of course - that they could easily manage basic A levels (I do not know, if I have translated this correctly - "matura podstawowa")

>Stereotypes, you know... ;-)
Now I do. Try as I might, I do not understand you. Neither bolts nor propelerrs...;) Poor thing.

>Six or seven, I'm not sure now.
Hey, so how was it? (Yes, I'm nosy) Did your parents teach you or did you have a tutor?

>In case this is a question, the response is: scobin @ poczta.onet.pl
Thank you:), but I will not harass you, poor guy. I just dropped a hint (I endeavoured to... - oh, (pseudo)sophisticated vocab again. Hmm, a habit of some kind?:) at the way you can benefit from a language school. You know, discussions, talking in pairs, your "long runs" and so on. I don't know if passing my CPE could be possible without this kind of practice and such exercises.

All right, I'd better go now. A test in history which I have tomorrow has been getting me down for a couple of weeks now... I have to learn, otherwise my, erm, boisterous and vivid teacher is gonna scream blue murder - for not praising her subject (passion?) enough...:)

>> Take care and so on:)
>
>I'll try. Same to you!
I will. I will:)

My regards to you, sir -
your humble servant:) Pagina
Zdarzają się naprawdę dziwne słówka, po jednym teście nie ocenisz, jakbyś przejrzał co najmniej ostatnie 5 szkolnych, to inaczej to wygląda; jak już ktoś powiedział, ludzie z CPE na A nie przechodzili szkolnego...
Strejndż. Ale w sumie wymagania olimpiady i CPE nie są identyczne. Na przykład na OJA nie ma żadnego dłuższego wypracowania; za to od etapu okręgowego trzeba mieć sporą wiedzę kulturową, której z kolei nie wymagają na CPE. Więc kto wie...
> My exam awaiting me - something NOT to celebrate whatsoever:(

Quite understandable. But I wish you all the best nevertheless.

>Well, I have, alas, met with olympians [...] who kept informing the
> others - with deliberation, of course - that they could easily manage
> basic A levels (I do not know,if I have translated this correctly -
> - "matura podstawowa")

I see. Have you encountered people with, let's say, FCE-or-more-like skills who behaved similarly? Or maybe only those less advanced?

>>Six or seven, I'm not sure now.

>Hey, so how was it? (Yes, I'm nosy) Did your parents teach you or did
>you have a tutor?

A tutor. But I've been learning largely on my own for a few years now. Thankfully my brother has studied English (I might have already mentioned it) and I can make use of the literature he's gathered. Which is often very helpful.

>Thank you:), but I will not harass you, poor guy. I just dropped a
>hint (I endeavoured to... - oh, (pseudo)sophisticated vocab again.
>Hmm, a habit of some kind?:) at the way you can benefit from a
>language school. You know, discussions, talking in pairs, your "long
>runs" and so on. I don't know if passing my CPE could be possible
>without this kind of practice and such exercises.

It's great you've had such opportunities. I'll probably try to talk my brother into taking the CPE together, so maybe in the near future we'll have some practice with each other.

"Long runs"? What do you mean? :-)

>All right, I'd better go now. A test in history which I have tomorrow
>has been getting me down for a couple of weeks now... I have to learn,
>otherwise my, erm, boisterous and vivid teacher is gonna scream blue
>murder - for not praising her subject (passion?) enough...:)

How was the test?

>My regards to you, sir -
>your humble servant:) Pagina

Oh, really... I'm starting to feel embarassed.

Yours,
Scobin
Hi,

>Quite understandable. But I wish you all the best nevertheless.
Well, no, thanks - I'm kinda superstitious (I must vave mentioned this before;)

>I see. Have you encountered people with, let's say, FCE-or-more-like
>skills who behaved similarly? Or maybe only those less advanced?
To be honest, I've never checked their level, for it was impossible. Although what we have at school is called "olimpiada", the actual level of this depends on the organizers, who are usually teachers or any other language schools' representatives.
Invariably, some peeps' behaviour is a bit over the top:(

>A tutor. But I've been learning largely on my own for a few years now.
Oh, my. I have a tutor (in German) and I admit this having numerous advantages to learning in a group which consists of 10-15 people. What do you think?

>It's great you've had such opportunities. I'll probably try to talk my
>brother into taking the CPE together, so maybe in the near future
>we'll have some practice with each other.
>
>"Long runs"? What do you mean? :-)

Long-runs practice... This is what everybody needs before their CPE. During the speaking exam (assuming you don't know its structure:) you have to talk about... erm, the speech usally ranges over various topics(let it be modern technology and prospective inventions, which was my subject; I talked about GMO foods and plausible gene therapy:) for approximately 2 minutes. At first (I mean, while talking in pairs during my classes), try as I might, I couldn't do these 2 minutes! But then our lecturer advised us to talk to our partners about oh-so-mundane things totally unlike poetry or so... I mean, it was something about... notebooks, colours, clocks... Yeah:).

>How was the test?
Great, indeed. (No irony - this time...) It was all about World War II, so (without any scribbles, which is a fact deserving praise:) I got... well, maybe not the maximum, but at least 90%, which is an amount sufficient to get a humble B:)

OK, I wish you luck, luck and luck and only A's, it's your Abiturka time:).

Yours,
Pagina
Hi there. I hope you won't mind if I get a foot in the door of this conversation?

Firstly - yes, the Olympiad *is* post CPE ;)

Secondly - Pagina, it should be us who admire you not the other way around ;) a CPE at 15 and such a brilliant command of English at your age... wow. Quite frankly, if you didn't spend half a day writing each of your previous posts here, then at least half of us aren't nearly half as good at English as you are (hey, this sentence reminds me of Bilbo's 111th birthday speech ;). I can see now that I still have a lot to learn... I have somewhat neglected English recently, which is a hell of a shame.

Coming back to the subjectyou've just touched: competitions do not make us 'better' people in a sense that we 'deserve' more than normal people do. They make us richer in acquaintances, interests, knowledge, self-respect and self-confidence, which is of course a good measure of how em... 'good' we are. But all of this should not make us feel superior, since it is not the accomplishment itself that matters: after all, a more intelligent and knowledgeable but less lucky person might lose due to chance. Our successes are not always the measure of who we are, so in a scobinnish sense it's the "competition" (meaning: rivalry) that makes us better people... hope you understand my rather far-fetched reasoning.

On beginning your English education at 6: nothing unusual in it. I meself began at 3 ;)

Oh yes, and when it comes to dialects: cockney is fun, but Scottish is so much better... Don ye thin dat, laddie? Or am ee gein't ron?

Well, guess I should be getting back to work. The maturity exam is on the way. Aw, shucks. And it's in English, too.

Cheers,
M.

Hey, one more thing. I salute you. I admire you. No, and I am not kidding. Back to the kindergarten with me English.
Proste - jeśli byłeś dłużej niż trzy miesiące w USA Anglii Australi Kanadzie itd., to nie możesz wygrać wycieczki.

Slainte!
M.
oops. the forum's got messed up in the google archive. I erroneously answered to a post which is a tenday old ;)

you seem to be doing just fine answering each other, so I'm not going to interfere any more :) just one more comment (couldn't resist :)

CPE is not about poetry. Neither is the Olympiad, I'm afraid.
And I beg you: do not take Shakespeare at the O.: as much as I wanted to do so, I have seen them (the jury I mean) kill off the over-confident ones who chose the Master. A little cross-examination, some tricky questions, and you find yourself dead and buried.

Slainte Mhath!
M.
przekladanie wszystkiego na poziom cae cpe etc jest po prostu smieszne i chyba nieszczegolnie sie sprawdza - ja mam tylko fce, dopiero w tym roku podchodzilam do cae a w finale sie spokojnie znalazlam
to jest kompletnie inna bajka, nie mozna porownywac
bo testy na olimpiadzie i egzaminy cambridge wymagaja zupelnie odmiennego podejscia
Hello,
Not only would I like to indicate to you... blah, blah. (Feel embarrassed)Well, the thing is that I do not spend half a day writing or typing my posts - I assure you, my high school is near at hand, may I say so and I'm simply terrified, as I don't want to change my status symbol; I feel great as a "gimnazjalistka".
>Coming back to the subjectyou've just touched: competitions do not
>make us 'better' people in a sense that we 'deserve' more than normal
>people do. They make us richer in acquaintances, interests, knowledge,
>self-respect and self-confidence, which is of course a good measure of
>how em... 'good' we are. (etc., etc., etc. ...
To be honest, I feel you've got the same point of view as Scobin. Am I right? And, erm, I do approve of the fact that it's rivalry and all the fairplay stuff that makes us... well, better (what is the word?:) I think I've simply failed to convey what I really think - in my posts, I mean, as I couldn't agree more. Now I fear that I assumed a know-all attitude and you feel I got airs and graces. Grr!

>On beginning your English education at 6: nothing unusual in it. I
>myself began at 3
Oh, my. How?:)

>Well, guess I should be getting back to work. The maturity exam is on
>the way. What, you an Olympian, (gr, they don't have bold are terrified? You're bound to get a max score!

>Oh yes, and when it comes to dialects: cockney is fun, but Scottish is
>so much better... Don ye thin dat, laddie? Or am ee gein't ron?
Cockney, wot a John Duet! It's just Bushey Park! Guess you're 'aving a Steffi Graff at me. Whoa, it's my turtle dove. Wish you Donald Duck with yer A levels...
See ya Kat Slater!

>Back to the kindergarten with me English.
I don't think I understand. Could you please...?:)

Best, wishes,
Pagina

And something more, sir: you're bound to know Coleridge, so (and sorry for the inadequacies in this translation:() If a man could go to the Paradise (to Heaven??) ("could be brought" sound better, doesn't it?) while asleep and if he was given a flower as a proof he has undoubtedly been there, and if, having been awakened, he realised he was holding this flower in his hand - oh, what then? Isn't it alike when it comes to knowledge?;) The only difference is we can have some more flowers;) and, yeah, keep them.

Yours,
P.
[Q:]Wasn't Cockney supposed to use not only *names* but also rhyming phrases? I'm not an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong![/Q]

Whiskey and rye,

1) dun worry, bairne, middyl school might be fayin, bot laif onley begins in ay school ;) Ye wont regret de cheinge.

2) I began at three in the kindergarten in Breslau, together with a group of other children. At five I got a private tutor, Mrs. Elżbieta, a very good teacher (even though I do not remember that phase too well). After moving to Posen (blahh) I continued my private English education with Mrs. Eleonora Szpaderska-Wojnowska, may her soul rest in peace. She taught me everything I know now and made me realise how much there still is to know :/ Her daughter took over the school, and in a few minutes I'm going to have a lesson with her ;)

3) Thanks for your kindness, but as an Olympian I'm not inclined to get a max in the International Baccalaureate. With my obstinate ignorance of what I do not like I'm rather bound to find myself somewhere in the middle of the list of graduates.

4) The comparison of knowledge to flowers is beautiful, but the probelm is that I like to smell flowers, not to collect them ;)

5)>Back to the kindergarten with me English.
This means I'm ashamed of the fact that while being an Olympian I represent an at most meagre level of the language.

6) As fer de dialects,
Ev ye ever wotch'd Treynspottin'?

Chous a leif. Chous a kar. Chous a fokin' big television. Chous yer freins.

This film just rocks ;) this accent just rocks :)

Slainte!
M.
Hello,
To tell you the truth, Cockney IS based on rhyming... virtually everything (a fact that keeps me on my knees), but sometimes they seem to omit the rhyming part of phrases to make their community even more clandestine and the slang comprehensible only for the initiated. I'm not an expert either but it's just a Lah-Di-Dah, just great, mate, when ya know what's goin' on on the Liza, not usin' my loaf so much. Gosh, I gotta the Newington Butts to say I don't know Scottish that much, San Toy.

1) Well, my school rocks and all high school students are so... donnish; I find their community quite clubby - alas and alack.

2) Impressive. I began at nine, at a local language school. I didn't even dream of any other school; a fact which regretting I have to admit. Now I quit, I just do everything () on my own. Grammar exercises, sometimes BBC (but I prefer audio books), some sites. And I will do; at least I hope so. The only obstacle is the fact that I don't have anybody for so called 'live conversations'. It seems that this situation has its pros and cons.

>3) Thanks for your kindness, but as an Olympian I'm not inclined to
>get a max in the International Baccalaureate. With my obstinate
>ignorance of what I do not like I'm rather bound to find myself
>somewhere in the middle of the list of graduates.
Awww! You're to take the IB THAT IB Awww! Could you please tell me more about it? Is this very difficult? How about biology and chemistry? Well, I assume you're rather a vivid humanist but... By the way, what subjects did you choose?

4) All right then, but what if the smell wears off and you're left with nothing but a faint recollection of what it used to be?

5) How you dare?:) What should I say, then? Wrought havoc in what I consider an "advanced level of English"

6) No, I haven't watched Trainspotting (yet).
I'm totally Jonathan Ross'd 'ere, all that Scottish stuff, Rob Roy. Kate Mossed, I say. U're 'avin a Jimmy, yeah? Got many pots, wish me friar tuck in my Gimnazjum-OJA I got tomorrow.

I'll be traditional - take care!
Pagina
Dia Duit.

>To tell you the truth, Cockney IS based on rhyming... virtually
>everything (a fact that keeps me on my knees), but sometimes they seem
>to omit the rhyming part of phrases to make their community even more
>clandestine and the slang comprehensible only for the initiated. I'm
>not an expert either but it's just a Lah-Di-Dah, just great, mate,
>when ya know what's goin' on on the Liza, not usin' my loaf so much.
>Gosh, I gotta the Newington Butts to say I don't know Scottish that
>much, San Toy.
Just as I am not proficent with making up rhymes for Cockney ;) so I'd rather not make a fool outta meself. To be honest, I'm not even good at Scottish. Know a Scotswoman, though. Gonna ask her for some help.

>1) Well, my school rocks and all high school students are so...
>donnish; I find their community quite clubby - alas and alack.

Eh, I'll tell you what: high school students are just... a little bigger children. They might seem 'clubby' to you, but after a year you actually know more than 1/2 of the students ;) and like at least as many of them.
And if you don't like 'donnish' communities (neither do I), then you might at least do sth about it ;) we (me an' me freins) actually spent the three years trying to make our school a little less stiff. The main problem was, quite unsurprisingly, the headmistress. She is to be changed next year, unfortunately her successor is even stronger 'party concrete'.

>Awww! You're to take the IB THAT IB Awww! Could you
>please tell me more about it? Is this very difficult? How about
>biology and chemistry? Well, I assume you're rather a vivid humanist
>but... By the way, what subjects did you choose?

1) As for the IB. I regret it. Only maths and Polish gave me a wee bit of knowledge and insight. The rest is bureauocracy, bureauocracy, bureauocracy. It's better to go to a 'normal' class and take an individual course of study from the subjects you are interested in.

2) Except maths, it's unnecessarily difficult, not because you learn difficult things but beause you have to guess what the examiners want from you :/ kinda dumb. Opportunists are favoured. One can get to top world universities even though he/she is a complete ignoramus.

3) As for maths HL, the programme is brilliant. It's actually normal maths + mathematical analysis - a subject from the first year of any technical university course. 6 hours a week. Yeah. We're absolute freaks and we know that 8)
As for maths SL - those who chose it are not too good at multiplying today ;) It absolutely sucks and is easy as pie.

4) I didn't choose biology or chemistry. Heard that they are rather difficult at HL, dunno about SL. [HL - higher level SL - subsidiary level]

5) I'm actually a 'tight mind' (re-translate it into Polish :) with a nagging notion to become a linguist :) I love Polish and English. Oh yes, and Irish Gaelic. And Norwegian. German is nice as well. Of course I do not know all of these ;) trying to learn them all the time, I hope that I can focus on it after the matex.

>4) All right then, but what if the smell wears off and you're left
>with nothing but a faint recollection of what it used to be?
Oh! But that's the best part of any fragrance! The moment when, after many years, you recollect an odour you had almost forgotten. Like the smells of your childhood.

>5) How you dare?:) What should I say, then? Wrought havoc in what I
>consider an "advanced level of English"
How dare I? Just speaking the truth, my English has deteriorated due to the impending doom of my maturity exam. I'll have to work on it in a month.

>6) No, I haven't watched Trainspotting (yet).
Ye should. And get Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood", listen to the track entitled "Bitter Suite". The vocalist is a Scotsman.

>I'm totally Jonathan Ross'd 'ere, all that Scottish stuff, Rob Roy.
>Kate Mossed, I say. U're 'avin a Jimmy, yeah? Got many pots, wish me
>friar tuck in my Gimnazjum-OJA I got tomorrow.
Friar Tuck then! I'm Senator McClure you'll win.

>
>I'll be traditional - take care!
I'll be Irish - U2.
>Pagina
M.
Well, it's not that I'm totally, utterly in love with my school, neither is the headmistress my shoulder to cry on (gr!), but the problem is that now I've learnt the topography of all the corridors... Speaking more literally than figuratively, I've "graduated" from a school of hard knocks. "A little bigger children" they are? Well, to me they appear a little bit... sabre-rattling.
We, as everybody out there, I suppose, have profiles; I'm to choose what is commonly known as "biol-chem-fiz". I regret not having the chance of taking the IB. The nearest school where I could actually do this, is, alas, in Cracow; a fact not to celebrate. Whatsoever.

As for languages I speak (??) English and German - as for the latter,it will be post-ZD now, I guess (you know, symbols comprehensible only for the initiated... even more than Cockney.

I do not like to forget smells; why should I? I want to have some... control over them, yo know they're mine. Just like wine gourmets - I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like to forget a smell which they'd learnt to know. And love - after a while.

As for my OJA... I got my knickers twisted... Today I had a competition in biology; my OJA is on May 20th... Shame on me!

Am I old-fashioned?:) Take care!
Pagina
> I regret not having the
>chance of taking the IB. The nearest school where I could actually do
>this, is, alas, in Cracow; a fact not to celebrate. Whatsoever.
You're either drunk, misinformed, or insane :) you've nothing to regret, trust me ;)

>
>As for languages I speak (??) English and German - as for the
>latter,it will be post-ZD now, I guess (you know, symbols
>comprehensible only for the initiated... even more than Cockney.
Well, post-ZD is pretty comprehensible, I'd call my own level in a similar manner. There is a post somewhere down there in which someone expresses his annoyance with the fact of describing one's level with in a 'certificate scale', but that's simply the easiest way.

>As for my OJA... I got my knickers twisted... Today I had a
>competition in biology; my OJA is on May 20th... Shame on me!
so, wish you luck on both of them.

>
>Am I old-fashioned?:) Take care!
And you too, bairne.
>Pagina
M.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
31-60 z 74

« 

Programy do nauki języków

»

Kultura