Advanced grammar - coordinators

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Rewrite the following in more coordinated (and where necessary, grammatically correct) English:

1. He is neither a member of Parliament nor of a political party.

ad.1 He is a member NEITHER of Parliament nor a political party.

2. The author's intention was not only to attack social hypocrisies but also an appeal for greater humanity.

ad.2 The author's intention was not only to attack social hypocrisies but also TO appeal for greater humanity.

3. This kind of understanding requires a great deal of effort - both from the teenagers and older sections of the community.

ad.3 This kind of understanding requires a great deal of effort - FROM both the teenagers and older sections of the community.

4. Languages are desperate not only in regard to grammar and vocabulary but also they differ phonetically.

ad.4 Languages are desperate in regard NOT ONLY to grammar and vocabulary but also they differ phonetically.

5. Industrialization does more harm than good to forests, animals, and indirectly to ourselves.

ad. 5. Industrialization does more harm than good forests TO animals, and indirectly to ourselves.

Proszę o sprawdzenie.
I would do it like this , for example:
1 He is neither a Paliament nor a political party member. (?) ( I once came across such an elliptical ‘extraction') / Neither is he the member of both Parliament and political party
2. fine by me
3. ok too
4. Languages are disparate not only in regard to grammar and vocabulary but they ALSO differ phonetically.
note : I guess one could go further for desire to make the constituents more structurally equal in function and status (structural parallelism) and just put it like.. ‘.....but also to phonetics’ but that changes the meaning a bit. ‘Not only’ is quite mobile, by the way, but I would leave it ‘staying put’ there where it is.
p.s. on second thought '..but also to phonetics' is good

5. Industrialisation does more harm than good to forests and animals, and indirectly to ourselves.
( I wouldn’t change anything here except for adding ‘and’)

edytowany przez savagerhino: 14 lut 2013
>>>Neither is he the member of both Parliament and political party

I like it!

4 i 5. I got the gist of this.

thanks buddy

« 

Pomoc językowa - tłumaczenia

»

Wyłączyć lektorów w TV