no sex-neutral 3rd person singular pronoun

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Quirk et al. (6.9, p 342)

Podsumowujac ten podrozdzial:
1. the plural pronoun they is often used informally:
~ Everyone thinks they have a right to be here.;

2. the plural is a convenient means of avoiding the traditional use of he as the unmarked form when the sex is not determined, as in the formal:
~ Everyone thinks he has a right to be here.

3. coordinating masculine and feminine is the cumbersome device:
~ Has anybody brought his or her racket?

4. resort to the evasive tactic of the plural pronoun is less acceptable:
~ Either he or his wife is going to have to change their attitude.

Zatem, w jaki sposob nalezy nalezy napisac ostatnie zdanie by mozna je bylo uznac za formalne?

Either he or his wife is going to have to change his or her attitude. [czyt. 3],
Either he or his wife is going to have to change the attitudes. [chyba niepoprawne i niejasne]

Bardzo prosze o Wasza pomoc.
Cześć!
~ Everyone thinks they have a right to be here. --> They are said that they have a right to be here. --> They are said to have a right to be here --> It is they who have a right to be here.

2. the plural is a convenient means of avoiding the traditional use of he as the unmarked form when the sex is not determined, as in the formal:
~ Everyone thinks he has a right to be here. It's more common in AmE, but functions in BrE too.
3. coordinating masculine and feminine is the cumbersome device:
~ Has anybody brought his or her racket? It's correct, but I find it odd sounding. Every time 'his or her'...

~ Either he or his wife is going to have to change their attitude. This is formal. Some advice against using it, which I oppose.
Zatem, w jaki sposob nalezy nalezy napisac ostatnie zdanie by mozna je bylo uznac za formalne?

Either he or his wife is going to have to change his or her attitude. [czyt. 3]. The English sentence right above is a formal equivalent to this one.
Either he or his wife is going to have to change the attitudes. [chyba niepoprawne i niejasne]
Yeah, it's vaguely expressed. Still don't know whose attitude is talked about.

Nie bardzo wiem, co jest niejasne. Wszystko zaprezentowałeś ładnie.
edytowany przez grudziu: 18 cze 2013
Cytat: grudziu
Wszystko zaprezentowałeś ładnie.

Dziekuje, potrzebowalem tylko, by mnie ktos pochwalil :)

Chodzi mi o te zdanie:
Either he or his wife is going to have to change his or her attitude. [czyt. 3] - autorzy uzycie 'his or her' nazwali 'cumbersome device' Chcac wiec tego uniknac oraz zachowac formalnosc zdania, zastanawiam sie nad jakas alternatywa.
>>Chcac wiec tego uniknac oraz zachowac formalnosc zdania, zastanawiam sie nad jakas alternatywa.

...to change THEIR attitude.
Cytat: labtes
~ Either he or his wife is going to have to change their attitude.

oraz 'common in everyday speech'

Czy wynika z tego, że nie istnieje dobre wyjście z tej sytuacji, jak tylko z parafrazować to zdanie? Jak mogłaby wyglądać taka parafraza, która byłaby formalna (więc bez their [patrz 4]) oraz brzmiałaby 'płynnie' (czyli bez his or her [patrz 3])?
jak chcesz 'plyynnie' to their a jak chcsz jeszcze plynniej to np:
they both will have to change their attitude..

moze nie wiem za bardzo co chcesz powiedziec bo nie przyczytwalem sie ( jest takie slowo?:) calosci watku
The phrase 'his-or-her' is 'maladroit'. What Sav came up with is pretty fine and not so bitty as the original sentence.

Sav@ Doczytałem dokładnie? :-)

Sav@ Doczytałem dokładnie? :-)

tak, lepiej bedzie :)
Dziękuję. Zauważyłem, że Savagerhino zawsze udziela się w wątkach, w których przejawia się odwołanie do Quirk et al. To bardzo dobrze :)
Cytat: labtes
Dziękuję. Zauważyłem, że Savagerhino zawsze udziela się w wątkach, w których przejawia się odwołanie do Quirk et al. To bardzo dobrze :)

Ja wiem, ja 'go' nawet nie lubie

Ale na powaznie, trzeba byc swiadomym tego ze np. 'jego' taka segmentacja adverbials na disjuncts, subjuncts istnieje w zasadzie tylko w 'jego taksonomii'. Niektore gramatyki ( tez opisowe) tego tak szeroko nie klasyfikuja.
W generative grammar jest adjunct rule np i tyle, podmiot i dopelnienie sa argumentami a czasownik to predicate, przechodniosc czasownikow to valency 0,1,2 ( chociaz praktycznie to juz nie ma nic wspolnego z opisowa tylko czysta skladnia)

p.s. just in case, I can talk 'dity' too if there's a call for that :)
edytowany przez savagerhino: 18 cze 2013
Gubię się w szczegółowej terminologii, może dlatego, że nie sądze by mi się do czego przydała. Mam nadzieję, że w późniejszych jego rozdziałach nie będzie ona niezbędna do zrozumienia przekazu. Postaram się jednak nie męczyć Was bardzo i zbyt często swoimi pytaniami.

PS We need more women for the 'dirty' talk, I think :)
edytowany przez labtes: 18 cze 2013
ale tam nie ma jakies szczegolenej terminologgi tylko sposob jej przedstawienia. Jest to gramatyka napisana na 'najwyzszym' poziomie (in this grammatical sense of the 'formal lexical density', powiecmy). To trzeba po prostu zroumiec jak czytasz moim zdaniem, nie zapamietywac, tak jak czytasz cokolwiek.

>>PS We need more women for the 'dirty' talk, I think :)

you bet they're here, they may just be lurking from that four-poster bed with all this kinky stuff hangin there, haha. But no, this is a family forum and in fact I like it this way :)
edytowany przez savagerhino: 18 cze 2013
Może i z perspektywy lingwisty czy też studenta filologii to prawda, ale z mojego punktu widzenia jako osoby jedynie zainteresowanej tym językiem, pojęcia i terminologia wydają się być szczegółowe i nierzadko sprawiają problemy :) Dlatego cieszę się z:
Cytat: savagerhino
To trzeba po prostu zroumiec jak czytasz moim zdaniem, nie zapamietywac, tak jak czytasz cokolwiek.

Dziękuję :)
edytowany przez labtes: 18 cze 2013
Cytat: savagerhino
PS We need more women for the 'dirty' talk, I think :)
you bet they're here, they may just be lurking from that four-poster bed with all this kinky stuff hangin there, haha. But no, this is a family forum and in fact I like it this way :)

how very true...
Talking dirty is reserved for foreplay;) When one cannot talk dirty it doesn't mean one is likely to be a poor lover. Sex is not about a to-and-fro motion...If so, how poor the experience has to be!
Talking dirty is reserved for foreplay;) When one cannot talk dirty it doesn't mean one is likely to be a poor lover. Sex is not about a to-and-fro motion...If so, how poor the experience has to be!

mam swoje poglady na to - ale nie moge ich pisac przed godzina 21.00 (no bo wtedy ktos powie ze zajmuje sie 'corruption of the innocent', ale jedno co wiem 'sex always starts in the mind...the art is to make someone believe that you are the best thing since sliced bread, before you even take your coat of.....
I know it. We'II stop at this point then and will wait for 9 pm :). Anyway, a good lover doesn't think through their sexual organs. 'I love you' - the most hackneyed, cliched and artificial phrase used nowadays sad to say...
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa

»

Pomoc językowa - Sprawdzenie