The in purpose clause

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Czy zdanie:
The more easily to induce witnesses to testify, we are conducting our hearings in private.

jest parafrazą zdania:
In order to more easily induce witnesses to testify, we are conducting our hearings in private.

Proszę o pomoc.
1 zdanie nie wygląda na poprawne. Gdzie je spotkales?
U Quirk et al.:
https://i.imgur.com/OOrJmu8.png - ostatnie zdanie
Znalazłem jeszcze to w War and Peace:

Sometimes he remembered how he had heard that soldiers in war when entrenched under the enemy's fire, if they have nothing to do, try hard to find some occupation the more easily to bear the danger.
ja też powiedziałbym, że to zdanie nie jest poprawne - co w obliczu przywołanych autorytetów może tylko oznaczać, że obecnie takie konstrukcje są rzadkie
wg mnie w zd 1. brakuje 'it is'... the more easily it is to.....
Co do War & Peace - oryginal byl pisany w jez. nie angielskim tylko innym. A tlumacz tez nie wiadomo na jakim byc poziomie jez. ang. Tak, ze nie zawsze mozna to uznawac jako autorytet prawidlowego zdania. Trzeba znac nazwisko tlumacza i cos o nim, zanim powiemy czy to zdanie jest poprawne.
Dziękuję
@terri

nie, nie powiesz "it is the more easily to induce'
Wydaje mi się, że terri chodzi o wersję:
The more easily it is to induce witnesses to testify, we are conducting our hearings in private.
ale wtedy druga część zdania nie pasuje.
dobrze, tak to ujmijmy, druga czesc zdania nie pasuje.
Po ostatniej wpadce postanowiłem tłumaczyć sobie angielski jak najprościej się da :)
Wydaje mi się, że terri chodzi o wersję:
The more easily it is to induce witnesses to testify, .. (tak)
....we 'are' WILL 'conducting' CONDUCT our hearings in private..
...nie jest powiedziane, ze tylko pierwsza czesc moze byc zmieniona...:-)
Cytat: labtes
Czy zdanie:
The more easily to induce witnesses to testify, we are conducting our hearings in private.

jest parafrazą zdania:
In order to more easily induce witnesses to testify, we are conducting our hearings in private.

Proszę o pomoc.

The adverbial "the" (always) precedes a comparative. Your "in order to" is purposive and implies no comparison.

There is only one "the" in your examples and that's perhaps why the sense of this single "the" may seem unclear. To show the comparison (and the co-respondence intrinsic to comparisons), try paraphrasing the pithy "the sooner the better."

To get you going, I can expand for you the equally pithy "the more the merrier": by how much we are more, by so much we shall be merrier.
Cytat: Janski
The adverbial "the" (always) precedes a comparative. Your "in order to" is purposive and implies no comparison.

https://i.imgur.com/OOrJmu8.png

The fewer, the wiser.
To get you going, I can expand for you the equally pithy "the more the merrier": by how much we are more, by so much we shall be merrier.

So if there're two times more people, their merriness doubles? With all due respect, I don't think that's what the idiom means, Mr. Janski...

Besides, "we are more" is not English.
Cytat: mg

https://i.imgur.com/OOrJmu8.png

In vitium ducit culpae fuga, si caret arte.

Just leaving the demonstrative adverbial the out explains nothing and may in general alter the meaning of the whole or even ruin the entire sentence whenever the comparative has no right to its "the.” "The" always contributes to the meaning of the comparative, and its mishandling can make the confusion worse…(or the worse?). Labtes's paraphrase and your snippet do just that.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa

»

Pomoc językowa