A/the

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Czytając o użyciu przedimków a/the w zdaniach opisujących coś w ogólności spotkałem np. takie zdania:

1. A doctor must like people.
2. Schools should concentrate more on the child and less on exams.

Pytanie czy w pierwszym zdaniu The doctor też byłoby ok?
Moim zdaniem tak, ale oczywiście będziemy mieli inne znaczenie. Zdanie z the oznacza, że mówimy o konkretnym doktorze i oceniamy, że on musi lubić ludzi, bo np. dużo z nimi rozmawia, uśmiecha się.
edytowany przez midnight_cowboy: 15 paź 2022
A doctor -lekarz w ogolnosci czyli ten co pracuje w zawodzie lekarza
Pytanie czy w pierwszym zdaniu The doctor też byłoby ok?

If it is a stand-alone sentence, I say no.
For a sentence to be interpreted as generic, the mandatory reference set to be characterized over should be (more easily than that) accessible to the reader.
Gdybys powiedzial : I have a wonderful family doctor. The doctor must like children because he is very good with them. Wtedy powiesz "the doctor" tylko to bedzie znaczylo co innego niz w zdaniu 1. Doctor "musi" lubic dzieci (na pewno lubi ) bo ma do nich dobre podejscie.
ALE
I am looking for a new family doctor The doctor must like children, otherwise it won't work.
Tutaj znaczenie "must" jest jak w zdaniu 1.
Czyli musisz miec zdanie wprowadzajace.
Dziękuję za odpowiedzi!

@midnight_cowboy, @chippy
"The" + rzeczownik policzalny też jest używane do mówienia o czymś ogólnie, jak np. w zdaniu drugim z mojego pierwszego posta. Inne przykłady:
- The tiger is in danger of becoming extinct,
- Life would be quieter without the telephone
W takich zdaniach, z tego co czytałem, służy do opisu klasy jakichś obiektów w ogólności. W pierwszym zdaniu będzie to tygrys jako gatunek, w drugim telefon jako wynalazek.
Dlatego zastanawiałem się, czy w przypadku lekarza też to może zadziałać - no bo wydaje się, że ogólnie dany zawód można traktować jako pewną "klasę"...ale nie wiem czy rzeczywiście tak jest ;)
W jednej książce trafiłem na taki przykład: The housewife has a harder life than the office worker, który wydaje mi się analogiczny do tego z lekarzem, ale może nie jest?

Cytat:
If it is a stand-alone sentence, I say no.
For a sentence to be interpreted as generic, the mandatory reference set to be characterized over should be (more easily than that) accessible to the reader.

@Janski
Is it okay to say "a reader" in this context?
Cytat: chippy
I am looking for a new family doctor The doctor must like children, otherwise it won't work.

That doesn’t work either. Here “the doctor” refers to an individual. The reference is definite, but the referent is still an individual.

We could try something like this to help the hearer (or "a hearer" or "hearers") find the generic interpretation intended:

"In our healthcare system, the doctor who tirelessly works long shifts and is paid a pittance must like people."

Still and all, either plural “doctors” or singular “a doctor,” would be somewhat easier on the ear:
{In our healthcare system}, doctors/a doctor {who tirelessly work(s) long shifts and are/is paid a pittance} must like people.
The stuff in parentheses could be disposed of, and the generic readings of both “doctors” and “a doctor” would remain unaffected.
@Janski
"Is it okay to say "a reader" in this context?"
Yes, either "a reader" or "readers" would be O.K.
Thank you for the answer.

Cytat:
Yes, either "a reader" or "readers" would be O.K.

I'm wondering about "the readers". It seems to me that it might work too (meaning that we're talking about a specific group of readers - those who will read the sentence). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
@Jansky

Cytat:
doctors/a doctor {who tirelessly work(s) long shifts and are/is paid a pittance} must like people.
. No such doctors in the States :)

A doctor/doctors must like people is a very general statement but what would you do in this particular sentence?

I am looking for a new family doctor The doctor must like children, otherwise it won't work. "the doctor" here is unknown yet, one of the many out there somewhere, but he is the one that I will accept/pick/hire.

I am looking for a new family doctor. A/the doctor I am looking for must like children, otherwise it won't work.
So what would you do here?
edytowany przez chippy: 20 paź 2022
Cytat:
Still and all, either plural “doctors” or singular “a doctor,” would be somewhat easier on the ear:

I have a question, Mr. Janski. Which one is correct:

The use of a comma is difficult to master. OR
The use of the comma is difficult to master. OR
The use of commas is difficult to master.
Cytat: fayy
I'm wondering about "the readers". It seems to me that it might work too (meaning that we're talking about a specific group of readers - those who will read the sentence). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right, but he reference of “the readers” would be existential, not generic: “existential” means the writer has people in mind as referents (all of those who will read what he writes will be implicated).
No such doctors in the States :)
"Pigs can fly" is a licit generic sentence.

A doctor/doctors must like people is a very general statement…
That’s what generic statements are all about.

I am looking for a new family doctor The doctor must like children…
.... is a valid sentence. “The doctor” is a definite reference and its referent is a nonspecific individual.
What am I supposed to do with it? And what for?

I am looking for a new family doctor. A/the doctor I am looking for must like children…
Here “A doctor” wrong. “The doctor” (or “he”) is more informative than “a doctor” and therefore it is expected of the cooperative speaker to put “The doctor” there. Grice’s maxim of quality says so.
What else is there to do?
Cytat: Janski
Cytat: chippy

That doesn’t work either.

It was not quite clear to me what you were finding wrong with the sentence.

Cytat:
I am looking for a new family doctor The doctor must like children…
.... is a valid sentence.

I appreciate the clarification.

Cytat:
No such doctors in the States :)
"Pigs can fly" is a licit generic sentence.

This is a misunderstanding. I simply overestimated your sense of humor.

Cytat:
What else is there to do?

Nothing. Thank you for your time and your input.

edytowany przez chippy: 22 paź 2022
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa - Sprawdzenie