"American Species"

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
I'd like to ask some native speaker(s) of British English if she/he/they consider(s) American English to be repulsive or in a way worse than "The Original British English". I'm asking this question out of pure curiosity and hope someone answers it. I've met lots of people (generally teachers) who spoke (and wrote in) British English and they seemed to discriminate against people (students) who spoke the other "species" (let's say) because of their accent, "flaps" they produced, "spelling mistakes" :) and so on... Anyone there willing to answer me please?
thanks in advance
I am not a native speaker, but once I tried to chew this problem over.

I read a book written by a British writer and, to my astonishment, I found such words as: "recognize", "fertilizers" or "plow" there. It's a funny thing, because the rules the writer was supposed to adhere to might seem to be not very difficult. I guess British people don't care about which "species" of English something is written in. When it comes to American pronunciation, it's another story :-)

As far as the American pronunciation is concerned, British people don't necessarily like listening to this accent... :-) American people, on the contrary, admire those who can speak British accent. I don't really know why it works in this way, but that is what I've heard about this issue.

A friend of mine told me about how these two kinds of pronunciation are perceived and we eventually claimed that we'd have to learn British accent and then go to the USA to make a good impression on American girls and pick them up. :D

Anyway, I don't believe someone might be prejudiced against me, because I don't speak the accent somebody likes! It would be totally crazy, wouldn't it?

That's my opinion :-)
>I'd like to ask some native speaker(s) of British English if
>she/he/they consider(s) American English to be repulsive or in a way
>worse than "The Original British English". I'm asking this question
>out of pure curiosity and hope someone answers it. I've met lots of
>people (generally teachers) who spoke (and wrote in) British English
>and they seemed to discriminate against people (students) who spoke
>the other "species" (let's say) because of their accent, "flaps" they
>produced, "spelling mistakes" :) and so on... Anyone there willing to
>answer me please?
>thanks in advance

you sure you're an A student?
I read a book written by a British writer and, to my astonishment, I
>found such words as: "recognize", "fertilizers" or "plow" there

Sometimes (if not always - I don't know) British books are altered for the US market, that is, they are rewritten using the conventions of standard American English.
>Sometimes (if not always - I don't know) British books are altered for
>the US market, that is, they are rewritten using the conventions of
>standard American English.

a good example of this is the first part of Harry Potter series.
When it
>comes to American pronunciation, it's another story :-)

Yes, .. the Americans tell lies and should all be subtitled :/
sorry, but I don't quite get what you mean CAL 40 ... :)
If you simply meant to suggest that I am not a native speaker, you're right - I AM NOT. But if you meant something different please do not hesitate to make it clear to me. Thanks
BTW, I saw that "Comedy - Iraqi News Report" and I still have problems understanding it since (we can all agree) Americans and the British understand each other perfectly...
>right - I AM NOT. But if you meant something different please do not
>hesitate to make it clear to me.

you're not..right..and I couldn't care less. I meant to suggest, as you put it, that the whole post is puerile at best, and plain stupid at worst. This is just yet another of the many like posts (bad AmE vs good BrE) that I would've ignored altogether had it not been for your good English; I just thought that an A student should've known better.

your post is addressed to native speakers of BrE, so perhaps I shouldn't have uttered a peep anyhow, but since I have and joined the fray anyway I'd like to recommend to you a little independent thinking as opposed to looking up to the many assholes, even teachers, you may have met in your life. You want other people's opinions on whether or not AmE is worse than.. or repulsive??? What if you got a confirmation..a yes-response? What would that be worth to you? I'd say that you've just met another asshole in your life, wouldn't you? Are you a person highly accessible to influence and need a role model? Look elsewhere. Who is your favourite actor, writer, or band? Your favorite book, movie, or speech? I bet my bottom suitcase of cash that the word would be American. So, cut the crap.

And that is what I meant.

> Thanks
you're most welcome
American 'species' - did you not mean 'variety' - as in 'American variety of English' - and what exactly do you mean by 'repulsive'?
First of all, I’d like to say that I had no intention of saying that AmE is worse than BrE. Of course, this is not true! My only intent was to ask other people about their opinion(s). I didn’t mean to imply or suggest anything. I myself have been learning the American variety of English for over 5 years now, and I have never found it worse, let alone repulsive. Yes you’re right - I’ve met lots of assholes (e.g. my PHONETICS TEACHER) in my life who (for no apparent reason) considered AmE as something “bad” and even tried to make others think in the same way as they did :/ (sad but true). I can assure you “CAL 40” that my thinking is entirely independent and I have never looked up to “the many assholes” even when they happened to be teachers :).

Secondly, I’m really sorry if I did offend you in any way. Be sure that I didn’t mean what you think I did. Now I realize I might’ve formed my thoughts in a rather inappropriate way and that is why you misunderstood me. I think I’ll have to work on expressing my thoughts in a clearer way ;)

Thirdly, yeah…
my favorite band – NIRVANA
my favorite teacher – Karl W. – ( my American Studies teacher :) )

thanks…
yes terri, by writing "species" I meant "variety". It's just a metaphor, you know...
I have
>never looked up to “the many assholes" even when they happened

and you didn't get discouraged by one either ;) I thought for a moment there that I scared you away and you were not going to be back. I'm glad to hear what you are saying.

>I'm really sorry if I did offend you in any way.
no way, dude. And I certainly hope I didn't offend you

>my favorite band - NIRVANA
>my favorite teacher - Karl W.

Kurt and Karl.. these Germans, man.. I tell ya ;)
to A student
>It's just a metaphor, you know...
not exactly - but that's another story - in metalinguistics we generally use the term 'variety'
to terri
Even though I am no expert, I know better that in metalinguistics the word "species" ("a group of animals or plants") would be considered incorrect. It is just a word (or a METAPHOR) that I recently found in an article on the differences between AmE & BrE, which in this case refers to The American Variety of English. That's it :)
:) Studencie uczysz sie amerykana w jaki sposob na kursie czy sam w domu? czy masz moze jekias ksiazki lub daj namiar na dobre ksiazki do gramatyki:) idiomow:) pozdrawiam:)
to be honest, i don't give a damn about what english you speak and so on. it's important we can communicate, but i must admit it's much easier for me to understand the british english. by the way, i love listening to the honorable queen and her breathtaking english ;)
>by the way, i love
>listening to the _honorable_ queen and her breathtaking english ;)

Are you pulling our leg? (check spelling :))
If I had started to learn English before I was nine I would have caught British accent. Now I can leave no stones unturned in an attempt to get rid of my Eastern European accent and it will be just a waste of time ;(
>Now I can leave no stones unturned in an attempt to get rid of my Eastern >European accent and it will be just a waste of time.
Why bother? You should be proud of your heritage (good or bad) - it is this, which makes you different to the average person. Seeing that in the UK almost every other person is from a 'foreign' background, you're in the majority.
I don't bother. I've never tried and I'm not going to get "a British accent". It was just an answer to a quotation bellow, I've forgotten to paste it.

>A friend of mine told me about how these two kinds of pronunciation are perceived >and we eventually claimed that we'd have to learn British accent and then go to >the USA to make a good impression on American girls and pick them up. :D
I've got a question-which variety of english do you find easier to understand?
For me BrE is easier but maybe because I'm living in the UK ;)
yes,probably that's why it's easier for you.I'm asking because I'm taught BrE pronunciation,but still I find AmE easier while listening.
It might sound too far-fetched to believe, but it is easier for me to understand British people. However, when it comes to speaking, I would never be able to force myself to use British accent. It's just a wierd thing about me. ;)
As a matter of fact, before coming here I thought that AmE sounds much better than BrE, but later I got used to it and now I can't stand listening to this bloody American accent which sounds lazy, not too bright and very nasal. Of course, talking about BrE I think of RP.
I prefer to listen AmE and use BrE while speaking:)
I would hope that teachers encourage mastery of communication and understanding of a language over regional differences. As an American I've had the opportunely to be on the giving and receiving end of many jokes about the different standards. The accent is obvious, but the vocabulary is the biggest challenge for me.

There is nothing wrong with taking pride in ones home country and its language, but discriminating only shows stupidity.

As a learner its important to prepare for your challenges.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Szkoły językowe

»

Pomoc językowa