Problem with question.

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Hi I'm watching a cartoon and one of the characters says:
"Was the dream I had real?" - Shouldn't he say : "Did the dream I have was real?"
If I'm wrong please tell me why?. Thanks in advance.
powtorz sobie podstawy zadawania pytan
np. he is hungry
he was hungry
Czy sen był prawdziwy, mamy tutaj do czynienia z czasownikiem być a zatem
nie stosuje się wtedy operatora did jak przy zwykłych czasownikach.
Pierwsza forma jest chyba poprawna. Druga absolutnie nie
OK I went through a bulk of English grammar at high school but I had a gap at learning and lost a contact with English for over 3 years (although not intionally). And presently most of my time I spend on watching movies and going through cartoons and what I notice is that sometimes natives inquire really strangly e.g. you're ready? got it? and so on and later it's hard to catch proper grammar pattern after so many non-schoollike questions. But back to thread. Sen jaki miałem był prawdziwy. Here are to verbs. Which is main? I mean if "have" is main verb I ought to make a question by "did" (like in case of almost evry english verbs) and when "to be" would be main I just make an inversion. How to know which is prime?
Cytat: Mowic
Was the dream I had real?

'the dream I had' to zdanie podrzędne w funkcji podmiotu
czyli czasownikiem zdania nadrzędnego jest 'was'
Cytat:
How to know which is prime?
goodness me omg , how should I have known that? Dare say all that depending the particular case is for all I can say at the very ..
edytowany przez Robbertoxx: 03 gru 2017
Cytat: Mowic
Hi I'm watching a cartoon and one of the characters says:
"Was the dream I had real?" - Shouldn't he say : "Did the dream I have was real?"

First, try to isolate the relative (subordinate) clause:
The dream (that I had) was real. The dream (that I had) was just a dream.
Keep in mind the spot the relative clause occupies.

Next, lose the relative clause (that I had) for a second, and you get
The dream was real. The dream was just a dream.

Now ask yourself what it was. You could also ask yourself I want to know what was it. But that would be another question, and which of the two would be the right one would be yet another.) Back to the matter at hand: What was it?
Was the dream real? Was the dream just a dream?

Now put the relative clause back where it belongs:
Was the dream (that I had) real? Was the dream (that I had) just a dream?

Having all that down pat, figure out the puzzle of I want to know what was it vs. I want to know what it was.
I hope I don't drop a clanger. Two options right? "I want to know what was it vs. I want to know what it was."
I'd bet second sentence is correct as it looks like indirect question.
P.S. Thx for getting my attention on relative clause.
Two options right?
1. "I want to know what was it vs. 2. I want to know what it was."
I'd bet second sentence is correct as it looks like indirect question. You are RIGHT.
This is a pen. What IS it? This was a dress before someone tore it up. What WAS it? I want to know what IT was before someone tore it up.?
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

»

Pomoc językowa - tłumaczenia