"A' przed rzeczownikami niepoliczalnymi, abstrakcyjnymi

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Dobry wieczór

Kiedy przed dziesięcioma laty rozpoczynałem przygodę z angielskim, nauczyłem się, że przedimka nieokreślonego nie wstawiamy przed wyrazami abstrakcyjnymi, niepoliczalnymi, porami roku i jedzeniem.

Niestety ciągle widzę dziesiątki przykładów typu:

"A different vision of life",

"The test of an enjoyment"

"a philosophy"

Roy Orbison - "A love so beautiful"

Ja je kwalifikuję jako rzeczowniki abstrakcyjne, więc moim zdaniem nie wolno tu wstawiać tego rodzajnika. W związku z tym czy mógłby ktoś fachowo wyjaśnić tę kwestię? Serdecznie dziękuję.
vision, philosophy, love - oznaczaja tu 'jeden z wielu istniejacych rodzajow/przypadkow': w koncu ludzie mają różne wizje życia, każdy ma swoją filozofię itp.

przykladu z enjoyment nie rozumiem
Być może masz rację, ale jakoś nie mogę tego sobie poukładać. Dla mnie to nadal przedimek z rzeczownikiem abstrakcyjnym, czego gramatyka (właśnie doczytuję teraz) wyraźnie zabrania. Jeśli chodzi o rodzaj\typ jak mówisz to powinno być np. A kind of philosophy, a type of love. Gramatyka wskazuje jasno, że wstawiamy a/an tylko przed policzalnymi np. A chair, a building, an apple, a streetcar.
@krzychu

te regułki, których uczyłeś się na niższych poziomach i które wtedy były przydatne, na wyższym poziomie mogą się zmienić (no bo przecież nie tłumaczy się początkującemu każdego wyjątku, tylko pokazuje się mu ogólny stan rzeczy). Co do przedimków dla bardziej zaawansowanych, sugerowałbym taką regułkę:

Wiele rzeczowników może być traktowanych jako policzalne jak i niepoliczalne, zależnie od ich znaczenia i użycia w zdaniu. Niewiele jest takich rzeczowników, które mogą być użyte tylko jako niepoliczalne.
dlaczego uwazasz, ze 'vision' jest niepoliczalne? Ludzie maja rozne wizje tego samego przedsiewziecia, czyz nie?
Co do love i philosophy, uswiadom sobie, ze podobnie jest w j. polskim: rozne filozofie zyciowe, "jego dwie zyciowe milosci to...". Rzeczownik, ktory w podstawowym znaczeniu jest abstrakcyjny (i niepoliczalny) moze wyksztalcic dodatkowe znaczenia, w ktorych jest policzalny.
A co z pojęciem abstrakcyjności? Miłość, filozofia, wiedza, szczęście...te wszystkie rzeczy to abstrakcyjność. Nie można ich dotknąć, zobaczyć.
abstrakcyjnosc i policzalnosc to nie jest to samo
czesto rzeczow. abstrakc. sa uzyte jako niepol., ale nie zawsze
@ krzychu: Nie przywiazuj sie tak bardzo do regulek. Jezyk jest tworem elastycznym.

Enjoyment mozna potraktowac jako jednorazowe wydarzenie okreslonego rodzaju. Jest to rzeczownik both countable and uncountable w zaleznosci od kontekstu. Podobnie bedzie z innymi.
The others were absorbed in their economic problems, social enjoyments, and political activities.

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/enjoyment
dodam do tego cos od siebie, ale i tez sie powtorze, co inni pisali
rzeczownik traktowany jako niepoliczalny wystepuje bez przedimkow i wyraza ogolne znaczenie: abstrakcyjnosci, materialu, uczucia, etc.; uzycie 'a(n)' nadaje takiemu rzeczownikowi odpowiednie -- bardziej zblizone -- znaczenie, a samo a(n) przekazuje informacje cos jak 'a kind of' czy 'one of many similar ones'
Cytat: chippy
@ krzychu: Nie przywiazuj sie tak bardzo do regulek. Jezyk jest tworem elastycznym.

To przesada. Język jest elastyczny i com, kiedy trzeba, regułki znikają?

[/quote]Enjoyment mozna potraktowac jako jednorazowe wydarzenie okreslonego rodzaju. Jest to rzeczownik both countable and uncountable w zaleznosci od kontekstu. Podobnie bedzie z innymi.
The others were absorbed in their economic problems, social enjoyments, and political activities.[/quote]

raczej 'an enjoyment' = something you like get pleasure from doing
enjoyment = the pleasure you get...
Cytat: krzychu1988r
Ja je kwalifikuję jako rzeczowniki abstrakcyjne, więc moim zdaniem nie wolno tu wstawiać tego rodzajnika. W związku z tym czy mógłby ktoś fachowo wyjaśnić tę kwestię? Serdecznie dziękuję.

The (un)countability of (abstract) nouns is not determined in the lexicon alone.
Some philosophers say that all nouns taken in isolation are abstract (table, dog, etc. too), that the count-uncount aspect of them is, most likely, indeterminate or uncountable, and that the countable or uncountable status of nouns only shows in predication.

To become countable, abstract nouns must be individualized by the speaker into discrete entities so that they are potentially distinguishable from other referents of the concept.
You talk good grammar, Janski.
So good that I have no idea what you're talking about here (not to mention the poor learners).
akurat Jasiu ma w zwyczaju nie pomaganie pytajacym, ale takim, jak ja, ty czy inni bywalcy tego forum, abysmy to skumali i byli w stanie ta wiedze potem jakos wykorzystac
a trudny jezyk w przekazie moze wiele sugerowac o takiej osobie, ale tu trzeba sie udac w podroz po innych dziedzinach wiedzy, innych od jezyka angielskiego
nie, obiektywnie rzecz biorąc to naprawdę niewiele można zrozumieć z postu Janskiego. Może chciał się popisać, bo nie sądził chyba, że asker to zrozumie.

i nie imputuj mi, engee, że to z moim rozumieniem jest coś nie tak, bo na co dzień obcuje z tekstami akademickimi po angielsku, bardzo dobrze je rozumiem i potrafię objaśniać je innym.
nie no, jakbym mogl...
Cytat: zielonosiwy
You talk good grammar, Janski.
So good that I have no idea what you're talking about here (not to mention the poor learners).

Was that a statement of fact or an order?

Your here in "...talking about here" is redundant.
Cytat: zielonosiwy
i nie imputuj mi, engee, że to z moim rozumieniem jest coś nie tak, bo na co dzień obcuje z tekstami akademickimi po angielsku, bardzo dobrze je rozumiem i potrafię objaśniać je innym.

You? Academic anything? You?
Cytat: engee30
akurat Jasiu ma w zwyczaju nie pomaganie pytajacym, ale takim, jak ja, ty czy inni bywalcy tego forum, abysmy to skumali ...

I will get back to you, but for starters consider two common nouns in isolation (I would call them concepts or types instead). Read the first one first and don't look for the other one:

1. WAR
Is it countable? If you are not sure, read it again and think. At least try. Now close your eyes, count to 10 and read the second:

2. PEACE
Is PEACE countable? Think. If you have doubts, repeat the exercise.

Now read both of them together:
WAR and PEACE.

Do you have any doubts about the abstractiveness and (un)countability of war in "War and Peace"?
Cytat: Janski
Was that a statement of fact or an order?

Neither. It was sarcasm.

Your here in "...talking about here" is redundant.

Nope.
You? Academic anyhing? You?

You'd be surprised.
edytowany przez zielonosiwy: 10 sty 2018
I will get back to you, but for starters consider two common nouns in isolation (I would call them concepts or types instead). Read the first one first and don't look for the other one:

1. WAR
Is it countable? If you are not sure, read it again and think. At least try. Now close your eyes, count to 10 and read the second:

2. PEACE
Is PEACE countable? Think. If you have doubts, repeat the exercise.

Now read both of them together:
WAR and PEACE.

Do you have any doubts about the abstractiveness and (un)countability of war in "War and Peace"?

I have no idea what you're trying to prove here. Words taken in isolation do not, in any way, affect the countability of nouns. What is important is meaning and context, as said by mg and me.
It looks like you're getting excited over a very old and rather futile philosophical problem of universals, which, in case you don't know, has long been solved.
Anyway, I still maintain you're a show-off.
Cytat: krzychu1988r
W związku z tym czy mógłby ktoś fachowo wyjaśnić tę kwestię? Serdecznie dziękuję.

I could try to help your intuition by giving you examples of usage, but you will have a hard time (a hard time is a countable abstract; can time be hard?) understanding my commentary.

I suggest you try getting answers to some basic questions:

1. What are abstract nouns? There are at least two types: (i) those that are located in time and are said to occur or take place rather than exist, and (ii) those "truly" abstract, timeless and absolute, such as concepts, ideas, considerations, etc. The answer to (1) should justify the effort of finding answers to the rest on the list. If it doesn't, doing something else might be a good idea.

2. What is the notion of (un)boundedness? This is a fundamental cognitive concept. It will help you get a sense of (un)contability of nouns as conceptualizations of referents denoted. It will also help you to figure out many other grammatical problems, for example English tense usage. (You could see verbs as bounded and unbounded too.) Some proper names require the article the--you may get an idea why. The bareness of coordinated nouns will become obvious to you too. The concept is really fundamental.

3. What is the difference between the three: (i) lexical meaning of a noun (aka type in Cognitive Grammar), (ii) semantics of a noun (meaning of a nominal at the sentence level), and (iii) sense of a noun (that’s what the speaker means to say). (N.B.: CG's type is not to be confused with sortal noun and generic kind.)

4. What is CDS (Current Discourse Space) in Cognitive Grammar. What is the (language, cultural) universe and what are universals? How new instances are introduced into CDS? How universals/kinds are referred to inside CGS?

5. What are abstract nouns? This is a repeat question. Do they have to be overtly modified to bound them into a new ontological status from abstract uncount to abstract count or even concrete count. Some of them are flexible enough and need no modification. Those are often called polysemous (e.g. education, knowledge), even though they don't have to be considered as such.

Reading typical pedagogical grammars will get you nowhere.
I gave you a compact answer a few of days ago.
@Janski

Excellent word salad. You must give me the recipe.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.