present perfect or past simple?

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 38
poprzednia |
1.As a student, she studied/has studied psychology.
2. She did/has done a lot of research in her mid-20s.

Jak myślicie? Nie chcę sugerować moich odpowiedzi, odniosę się najwyżej bezpośrednio do Waszych.
Daj własne odpowiedzi. Ktoś sprawdzi.
edytowany przez Rydzio: 18 mar 2018
dla mnie jak drut past simple. a pytam dlatego, że z moich starych notatek wynika, że to niby present perfect, ale możliwe, że to tylko błąd. Dlatego pytam o Wasze zdanie w tym temacie.
jezeli juz nie studiuje i przekroczyla 30stke, to past simple w obu
did jak już nie studiuje , has done jeśli nadal studiuje , tak to odbieram
edytowany przez Robbertoxx: 18 mar 2018
zdania są wyrwane z kontekstu bez żadnych dodatkowych wskazówek, ale dla mnie ich kontekst jest jasny, czyli że to było już jakiś czas temu.
tak
as a student
in her twenties

znaczy, że już nie jest studentem i ma co najmniej 30 lat
T h e r e i s a i g n o r i t
edytowany przez Janski: 18 mar 2018
Cytat: arousal
dla mnie jak drut past simple. a pytam dlatego, że z moich starych notatek wynika, że to niby present perfect, ale możliwe, że to tylko błąd. Dlatego pytam o Wasze zdanie w tym temacie.

Talking overachievers, get a load of this:

As student, she has supported her younger brother and studied psychology. She has done serious research at Brown and published a lot in her twenties; has ruled the catwalk modeling for the Ford agency in her thirties while running two major US companies. Now she is prime minister of Panama at 41. Isn't she something?

That works, but if we rearrange things a little… the preterite is the better choice:

During her student years, she supported her younger brother and studied psychology. In her twenties, she did serious research at Brown and published a lot. In her thirties, she ruled the catwalk modeling for the Ford agency while running two major US companies. Now she is prime minister of Panama at 41. Isn't she something?
1.As a student, she studied/has studied psychology.
2. She did/has done a lot of research in her mid-20s.

kiedy mowisz o kims, ze wciaz jest studentem to perfect bedzie poprawny, i bedzie wyrazal doswiadczenie, w tym przypadku doswiadczenie studiowania psychologii:
As a student, she has studied psychology.
czas przeszly po prostu zamyka wydarzenia w przeszlosci, nie nawiazujac do obecnej sytuacji:
As a student, she studied psychology.

podobnie ma sie z drugim zdaniem
Cytat: Robbertoxx

to sie zgadza rowniez z moim tokiem myslenia
Cytat: engee30
Cytat: Robbertoxx

to sie zgadza rowniez z moim tokiem myslenia

WRONG CONCLUSIONS, both of you.

Let's say that I know that you studied psychology at Harvard after you finished high school and that you graduated cum laude in 2000.

I can say today (in March 2018) that you have studied psychology at Harvard.

Try to find the so-called present/current relevance in my statement. I will also let you in on a very important secret: the only reason that I would use the present perfect tense in this sentence (instead of the simple past "You studied psychology at Harvard") is the present relevance that the present perfect is supposed to convey to you the reader or hearer.
edytowany przez Janski: 22 mar 2018
Anything is possible outside of the original context

"As a student, she studied/has studied psychology. "

This was the original context
Cytat: mg
Anything is possible outside of the original context

"As a student, she studied/has studied psychology. "

This was the original context

Minor detail that doesn't change the main idea but helps see the focus change between the two. It shows the difference better, just as all the other pure fluff that I added.
Cytat: Janski
Minor detail

Definitely not a minor detail as engee took the original context into account when giving his two cents on the topic.
Have the courage to admit you were wrong?
Cytat: zielonosiwy
Minor detail

Definitely not a minor detail as engee took the original context into account when giving his two cents on the topic.
Have the courage to admit you were wrong?

You tell me the difference between " As a student..." and " As student..."
Besides, here the difference is immaterial, because the key is elsewhere, but that's beyond your knucklehead.
Besides, here the difference is immaterial

Wrong again.
As a student = when you were a student
you can use what is called "Perfect of experience" with a time adverbial used parenthetically

She has studied psychology (as a student)
She has ruled the catwalk (in her 30's)
etc.

you don't even have to put the time phrase physically in parentheses as long as you use the right intonation.
But that's about all. using the Present Perfect to talk about a given time in the past is out of the question.
Yes, that is really interesting and there are only a few books in which one can find such information. Rodney Huddleston has indicated that the present perfect can be used with a time adverbial if it is separated from the rest of a sentence with a comma or with a pause in speech, for example: I have done it, yesterday. Anyway, it is better to avoid such sentences...
edytowany przez Rydzio: 23 mar 2018
Cytat: Rydzio
Rodney Huddleston has indicated

Has he? :-) All those tenses can be very tricky!
Yes... :))))
you can use what is called "Perfect of experience" with a time adverbial used parenthetically

She has studied psychology (as a student)
She has ruled the catwalk (in her 30's)
etc.

you don't even have to put the time phrase physically in parentheses as long as you use the right intonation.
But that's about all. using the Present Perfect to talk about a given time in the past is out of the question.

That's interesting, but I don't get it (even if I take into consideration that we use the present perfect when taking about some life experiences).
So where is the difference?

She studied psychology at Harvard as a student.
and
She has studied psychology at Harvard (as a student)

However I still can imagine that I can use the present perfect in this kind of situation:
In the end she has studied psychology, so she will know what to do in case of a panic attack.
edytowany przez arousal: 25 mar 2018

Wrong again.

As (a) student does not mean when you were a student.
Other than that, context belongs on your list of forbidden words.
She studied psychology at Harvard as a student.
and
She has studied psychology at Harvard (as a student)

However I still can imagine that I can use the present perfect in this kind of situation:
In the end she has studied psychology, so she will know what to do in case of a panic attack.

Someone plays on the lexical tautology of "as a student, she has studied…" and gets you confused.

As (a) student, asshole, sexy blonde…, none of them is coded as a temporal adverbial. Each might at most invite a temporal reading when forced to do that, but nothing more than that.

However each can project, just as tense form projects its own meaning, and each can be read differently when placed in different places.

Just for the heck of it, replace as a student with as a sexy blonde, for example, just to get rid of the tautological misunderstanding. Compare the two:

(1) As a sexy blonde, she has (easily) graduated (with honors) from Harvard.
(2) She has graduated from Harvard as a sexy blonde.

In (1), the parentheticals are supposed to help you get the sense. Take them out when you get it.

As per (1), she must have been sexy and blonde before graduation. That's the way things are.
(2) tells us what she looked like at graduation.

Sexy blondes are temporary, but as a sexy blonde, student, etc. are definitely not coded as temporal, and most definitely not definite temporal, just as at six o'clock, on Monday, etc. are not definite temporal.
edytowany przez Janski: 26 mar 2018
your colourless green ideas do sleep furiously
You think structures but ignore meanings of individual phrases.

as a student she has studied psychology = Janski: she must have been a student before studying OR this is what she was when she studied

QED

and, yes, I know that 'study' and 'graduate' belong to different verb classes, but the fallacy is still there.
edytowany przez mg: 26 mar 2018

Wrong again.

As (a) student does not mean when you were a student.

It does once we assume you no longer are a student. And that's what engee assumed in his conclusions, which you called wrong. So who is in the wrong here?

(1) As a sexy blonde, she has (easily) graduated (with honors) from Harvard.
(2) She has graduated from Harvard as a sexy blonde.

Apart from being sexist, these examples are ambiguous at best. You're good at obfuscation, Janski, I'll grant you that, but you need something more to prove your point here.
and, yes, I know that 'study' and 'graduate' belong to different verb classes, but the fallacy is still there.

No, you don't know. Name the classes.
Apart from being sexist, these examples are ambiguous at best. You're good at obfuscation, Janski, I'll grant you that, but you need something more to prove your point here.

Every statement in natural language is underspecified. Deal with it.
As far as sex is concerned, being sexist is a great idea. Try it, you might enjoy it. Actually, you might finally find out what sex is. Share the joy with us.
Every statement in natural language is underspecified. Deal with it.

It's not about underspecification but ambiguity. Sentences can be and often are unambiguous.
That's sadly not the case with your examples: your second sentence She has graduated from Harvard as a sexy blonde. could mean what you said it meant (although that wouldn't be the most likely reading), but it could also mean that 'A sexy blonde' was the title she received upon the graduation. This of course could be argued to be meaningless, just like the immortal "colorless green ideas". And that's why I wrote "ambiguous at best". I just didn't want to kick you while you were down.

Actually, you might finally find out what sex is. Share the joy with us.

Well well well, Janski's losing his cool again. How about you address my first point instead?

No, you don't know. Name the classes.

one is factive and the other one is semel.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 38
poprzednia |