Arthur, Tex., Twombly, the son of a former pitcher for the Chicago White Sox.

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Dlaczego w powyższym zdaniu mamy the son zamiast a son?
autor textu wie, ze 'former pitcher' mial tylko jednego syna, i chce ci to rowniez przekazac
Okej. Dziękuję.
Wczesniej w tym tekście pada imię CY. Dlatego będzie the son, obojętnie ile synów miotacz miał.
Inny przykład:
So Justin, the son of the former Liberal PM of the 1970s, Pierre Trudeau, has triumphed in Canada's general election.
Pierre Trudeau miał więcej niż jednego syna.
Just my opinion ;-))
edytowany przez Aaric: 25 sty 2020
prosze przeczytac o roznicy w przedimkach pomiedzy 'the' a 'a'
Never mind 'prosze przeczytac'. What's YOUR thought on this?
Cytat: Aaric
So Justin, the son of the former Liberal PM of the 1970s, Pierre Trudeau, has triumphed in Canada's general election.
Pierre Trudeau miał więcej niż jednego syna.

That's a good example, but a good example of what? Let me add to the confusion:

So Justin, a son of Pierre Trudeau's, the former Liberal …
So Justin, son of the former Liberal ...

What's going on?
Janski, I'd be glad if you could explain this.
Cytat: midnight_cowboy

Janski, I'd be glad if you Could you explain this?

Justin Trudeau, the son of Pierre Trudeau,…
This apposition aids the reader in recognizing Justin Trudeau by supplying a more informative context than the denotation Justin Trudeau alone. Make note of the grammatical (and cognitive) status of Justin Trudeau and of the apposition: both are at the same level and definite.

… a son of Pierre Trudeau would serve, perhaps inadvertently(?), an additional function: it attributes to Justin the property of being P.T's son: being someone's son has its (dis)advantages and may have its consequences. The apposition is indefinite: Compare with The tiger is a wild animal.

In Justin Trudeau, son of Pierre Trudeau, the apposition would also be attributive, but it would attribute to Justin his "son-hood" only.

… a son of Pierre Trudeau's, the former… has a partitive reading (=one of P.T's sons)

…the son of Pierre Trudeau's, the former… is ungrammatical.
To make the last one grammatical, one would have to give it another restrictive modification needed to justify the fronting "the": Justin Trudeau, the son of Pierre Trudeau's that I know best,..
What's wrong with this request?
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa

»

Pomoc językowa