countable/uncountable

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1.Wpisz: a/some/any.
A:Can you send me (some) information about the hotel, please?
B:I'm afraid we don't have (any) leaflets here. If you go to their website, you can find (some) details there.
A:Are there (any) messages for me?
B:There's (a) message for you on your desk.
2.Wpisz a lot of/much/many.
A:Do you get (a lot of) useful information from your web report?
B:Yes, the report give us (many) interesting data. For example, we know that (many) people in the US visit our website. But we don't have (much) hits from people in Australia.
W nawisach napisałam jak ja uważam. Jeżeli gdzieś są błędy to proszę o poprawienie. Z góry dziękuję!
B:Yes, the report give us (many)*nie* interesting data. For example, we know that (many) people in the US visit our website. But we don't have (much)*nie* hits from people in Australia.
"Usage Note: The word data is the plural of Latin datum, "something given," but it is not always treated as a plural noun in English. The plural usage is still common, as this headline from the New York Times attests: "Data Are Elusive on the Homeless." Sometimes scientists think of data as plural, as in These data do not support the conclusions. But more often scientists and researchers think of data as a singular mass entity like information, and most people now follow this in general usage. Sixty percent of the Usage Panel accepts the use of data with a singular verb and pronoun in the sentence Once the data is in, we can begin to analyze it. A still larger number, 77 percent, accepts the sentence We have very little data on the efficacy of such programs, where the quantifier very little, which is not used with similar plural nouns such as facts and results, implies that data here is indeed singular."

2.Wpisz a lot of/much/many.
A:Do you get A LOT OF / MUCH useful information [

« 

Pomoc językowa - Sprawdzenie

»

Studia za granicą