Problem z czasem zaprzeszłym Past Perfect ;-(

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Hej ;-)
Moja powtórka gramatyki stanęła przy Past Perfect i Past Perfect Continuous... I tutaj zaczynem się czuć za zagubiony...
Widzę, że te czasy mają takie same znaczenie jak w teraźniejszości tylko mają odwołanie do przeszłości... I nasuwam mi się takie pytanie... Są te czasy w ogóle używane ? xD
===
Past Perfect w zdaniach jest zestawiony z Past Simple... Ale który czas powinien być użyty pierwszy w zdaniu??
1) After I had brushed my teeth I went to sleep.
2) I went to sleep before I had brushed my teeth.

Przed pójściem spać umyłem zęby... Nie wiem... określnik czasu (after, before) sugerują tak i tak...
Totalnie się pogubiłem w tym czasie zaprzeszłym...
=====
Past Perfect Continuous no to tutaj nie mam problemu... Takie same zastosowanie jak w present i użycie przychodzi mi znacznie łatwiej mimo, że też jest zestawiony z Past Simple...
1) I was tired beacause I had been running.
2) I was sad beacuse my car had been repairing 2 weeks.

Także, Past Perfect Continuous chyba załapałem...
Byłbym mega wdzięczny gdyby ktoś mi wyjaśnił Past Perfect Simple :)

Cytat:
Past Perfect w zdaniach jest zestawiony z Past Simple... Ale który czas powinien być użyty pierwszy w zdaniu??
1) After I had brushed my teeth I went to sleep.
2) I went to sleep before I had brushed my teeth.

Przed pójściem spać umyłem zęby... Nie wiem... określnik czasu (after, before) sugerują tak i tak...

Możesz spojrzeć tutaj:
https://www.ang.pl/forum/pomoc-jezykowa/34773

1. umyl zeby i poszedl spac
2. poszedl spac zanim umyl zeby, tzn. nie umyl zebow
Cytat:
2) I was sad beacuse my car had been repairing 2 weeks.
Tak się zastanawiam, skoro w 'before + Past Perfect' Past Perfect określa sytuację, która nie nastapiła, czy poprawnym byłoby zdanie:

I got up before the sun had risen.
?

..had risen - ok
Ale Słońce zawsze wschodzi :)
To chyba powiesz:
I get up before sunrise.
Cytat: fui_eu
To chyba powiesz:
I get up before sunrise.

Tak, mogę tak powiedzieć, ale przecież nie o chodzi mi o zmianę czasu, lecz o zastosowanie 'before + Past Perfect" i jego znaczenie.
ze zdania I left before he had finished talking
nie wynika, że on nie skonczyl mowic po moim wyjsciu
Cytat: mg
ze zdania I left before he had finished talking
nie wynika, że on nie skonczyl mowic po moim wyjsciu

Tak, to jest dla mnie jasne. Ten przykład jednak nie pasuje do mojego problemu ponieważ sugeruje, że w pewnym momencie 2 czynności odbywały się równolegle, tzn. Ja tam byłem podczas gdy on mówił. Czy możemy rozpatrzyć podobny przykład:
I left before he had said anything.
Moja interpretacja to:
Wyszedłem -on nie powiedział ani słowa (nie zdążył) - czyli czynność nie nastąpiła, co pasuje mi do konstrukcji: before + Past Perfect.
Natomiast:
I got up before the sun had risen - przyczepiając się mojej powyższej logiki, wschód Słońca miał nie mieć miejsca, co jest sprzeczne z prawami natury :)
nie wiem, czy on nie powiedzial ani slowa, bo potem juz mnie tam nie bylo.
Jezeli mial cos powiedziec wlasnie mnie, to faktycznie po moim wyjsciu nie powiedzial juz nic, ale moze dokonczyl to, co mowil.

Masz jednak racje, ze jezeli jest jasne, ze pozniejsza czynnosc zostala zakonczona, mozesz uzyc simple past: we left before the film ended

w zdaniu o sloncu pasuje takze 'rose'.
Dziękuję bardzo mg.
Cytat:
Masz jednak racje, ze jezeli jest jasne, ze pozniejsza czynnosc zostala zakonczona, mozesz uzyc simple past: we left before the film ended

Dlatego właśnie powiedziałbym:
I had got/gotten up before the sun rose.
lub
I got up before the sun rose.

Nie powiedziałbym jednak (oczywiście tylko w tym przykładzie):
I got up before the sun had risen - wlaśnie ze względu na to co sugeruje konstrukcja "before + Past Perfect'.

Mam nadzieję, że dobrze to rozumiem :)
zobacz sobie, że mozna powiedzieć 'Before the sun had risen" - nie tylko w tekstach biblijnych.
Zatem jaka jest róznica pomiędzy:

1. I got up before the sun had risen.
a
2. I had got/gotten up before the sun rose.
najprosciej
I got up before the sun rose
Moim zdaniem zdania z rose po prostu umiejscawiają wstawanie w czasie, natomiast zdania z had risen - to już moja intuicja - podkreslają, że podmiot wyprzedził słońce we wstawaniu.
ale i tak w obu przypadkach bedziemi mieli

X happened before Y happened

X - I got up/ had gotten up
Y - the sun had risen/the sun rose

'before past perfect' nie moze byc tu non-factual jak sam juz chyba dawales do zrozummienia, nie ten przyklad,

"The day after we had received the news, my husband woke me before the sun had risen"
(1996 (Spring) Stone Daughter, Wesselmann, Debbie Lee, Literary Review)

sprawy literackie, past perfect w takich przypadkach moze byc 'dobrym narzedziem' dla autora zeby podkreslic sekwencje zdarzen i zeby nam sie nie nudzilo czytajac to :)

edytowany przez savagerhino: 12 paź 2013
Cytat: mg
Moim zdaniem zdania z rose po prostu umiejscawiają wstawanie w czasie, natomiast zdania z had risen - to już moja intuicja - podkreslają, że podmiot wyprzedził słońce we wstawaniu.

teraz rozumiem, dziękuję zacierpliwość :)

@savagerhino
Dziękuję.
Zrozumiałem dopiero po dłuższym fragmencie:

"I MOVED TO JAPAN because my husband's father and elder brother Jiro had died in an early morning fire that destroyed the family house. A nephew, two years old, whom I had never met, had also perished, virtually wiping out the male line of the Tanaka family. The day after we had received the news, my husband woke me before the sun had risen. "Ellen," he said, "I must return to Kasama." I knew he meant for good, though he was afraid to say it."
@labtes

I guess I could've put here this whole part from the get-go ( to save you that mind-boggling digging).
But I have to say you did a good 'job'. I mean that brains are not something that you're a complete stranger to. Don't worry, this is just my way of, say, paying somebody a compliment. I don't usually do that.:)

I'm jsut saying, it's still something of a 'rarity' these days if someone can locate, access, then retrieve and finally evaluate information. And another thing is that we could've been trying hard to extarct any kind of situational context out of this sentence, but again, we woudn't have gone far enogh out of it without the right one. It's a good example to show that context is crucial .....and tense complexity in narrative can be quite a bitch :)
Yet again, I was taught a good lesson here. It still hasn't been long ago since I discovered that language in its complexity and ways to convey information goes beyond a set of, as it were, rules to which we get accustomed at school. The rules should be treated only as guidance, I think. At least, this is how I, as a layman, understand it. That is why I sometimes seek a logical explanation while there may not be such at all.
(I hope that the above is mistake free) :)

Cytat:
....and tense complexity in narrative can be quite a bitch :)
well said :)

Thank you for the peculiar compliment, you motivated me to ask yet another question. Sorry :)

"So it is perhaps not that surprising (as we recently discovered) that in 1912, well before Einstein had in fact even completed his general relativity theory, he had performed calculations - as he tried to find some observable phenomenon that would convince astronomers to test his ideas - that were essentially identical to those he published in 1936 at the request of Mr. Mandl."

Am I correct in interpreting that here the 'before + Past Perfect' construction emphasizes the period of incompletion of the theory which is strengthened by the words 'well before' and 'even', if that makes sense or this is the case which you are describing as
Cytat:
And another thing is that we could've been trying hard to extarct any kind of situational context out of this sentence, but again, we woudn't have gone far enogh out of it without the right one.
? Perhaps, I am over-analyzing it. :)

What could we say about the following example:
I had got/gotten up before the sun had risen.
>>What could we say about the following example:
>>I had got/gotten up before the sun had risen.

The whole period under consideration is probably distanced in the past.
Out of context, I can't come up with any better explanation. I'm not a masochist.:)

>>So it is perhaps not that surprising (as we recently discovered) that in 1912, well before Einstein had in fact even completed his general relativity theory, he had performed calculations - as he tried to find some observable ..

X - Einstein had performed calculations well before he had in fact even completed his general relativity theory.
That was in 1912, right.
Y - ..identical to those he published in 1936

still.. X happened before Y happened

'before' can be modified by a range of modifiers to show relative proximity of time, like here by 'well'. It's also true that before-clauses can inherently relate to something unfulfilled in respect of the head clause. To some extent, and semantically, 'well' and 'even' may in fact have contributed to this incompletion idea but I don't think that the use of past perfect per se in the before-clause here was triggered by nonfactuality, not necessarily in any case.
That's how I see it. But maybe I'm wrong ..and the earth is flat, still standing on a giant turtle (and some elephants and of course rhinos :)

edytowany przez savagerhino: 13 paź 2013
Cytat:
The whole period under consideration is probably distanced in the past.
Rozumiem, przypominam sobie takie użycie i chyba nazwałem to wtedy sobie czas za-za-przeszły :)

Cytat:
and the earth is flat, still standing on a giant turtle (and some elephants and of course rhinos :)

Czasami na tym "postawiony" jest angielski, jak dla mnie :)

Jeszcze raz bardzo Wam dziękuję!

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.