Bought czy had bought?

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
The story happened to me one really hot summer about five years ago. It's probably the worst thing that's ever happened to me while driving a car. I had bought/bought my car the week before and was still feeling/still felt very excited.

W kluczu odpowiedzi jest "had bought" ale czy nie można tu użyć past simple?
W kluczu jest też "was still feeling", a czy może być "still felt"?
ja bym dala tak jak w kluczu
To zdanie wygląda na czas zaprzeszły (Past Perfect) - kupiłem samochód, a potem byłem z tego zakupu zadowolony (nawet w formie ciągłej jak w kluczu) Opisywane są tutaj dwie czynności z czego jedna jest wynikiem drugiej. (druga połowa już w Past Simple lub Past Continuous). Nie jestem ekspertem ale jak na moje, to mogło by być w Past Simple ale bez tej drugiej połowy wtedy, czyli samodzielne zdanie o kupnie.
edytowany przez Adriano.Rivale: 18 sty 2023
ale mamy while driving a car. i to troche skreca nas w Continuous
Myślę, że tak jak w kluczu.
Had bought wskazuje że coś się odbyło wcześniej niż opisywane zdarzenia (również z przeszłości) i/lub zmieniła się dana sytuacja po wspomnianym tygodniu, zaś was still feeling czyli że wtedy, w przeszłości ale już po kupnie (ale przed jakimś prawdopodobnym zdarzeniem które zmieniło uczucia rozmówcy) wciąż ten ktoś był excited.

Gdybyśmy użyli po prostu past simple i dali bought nie byłoby tego zaznaczenia że zakup odbył się wcześniej i że ta ekscytacja jednak jakiś okres czasu trwała nieprzerwanie od zakupu aż do momentu zdarzenia + to że 'while driving a car'.
edytowany przez detektywpati07: 18 sty 2023
(1)The story happened to me one really hot summer about five years ago. (2) It's probably the worst thing that's ever happened to me while driving a car. (See note 1). (3) I had bought/bought my car the week before and was still feeling/still felt very excited.(See note 2)

Note 1.
Imagine how the preterite would sound at this point: (3)“I bought my car the week before and…” Before what?
The reader’s thoughts are at this moment at the speaker’s time of utterance, because the main clause (2) is set in the speaker’s present. The past perfect tense in (3) marks the speaker’s effort to refer you back to the first sentence in the story, which is in the past tense. The past perfect tense is ALWAYS a relative tense; it never established a new temporal domain. Here the past perfect invokes the due subordination of the event “I-buy-car” to the situation “the story happened ...five years ago.”
The answer here is: past perfect is the right tense here.

But…If you removed from the story the second sentence marked (2), the temporal adverbial in (3) would set the sequence of events strait without resorting to the past perfect, and the simple past would do the job.

Note 2. was still feeling?/still felt?
The continuous tense form, in addition to other functions it serves, is a stativizer: it takes a verb (any verb) and makes a state out of it. You might say that the verb “feel” is a stative verb to start with, which is true. But the power of the progressive is enough to change that: it transforms the stative verb root “feel” into a dynamic verb when it is in the progressive form. That’s why I would say “I am feeling exited” when I really, really am, perhaps temporarily but truly, whereas “I am/feel excited” would mean much less about my... well.. excitement.
What can be more exciting than a brand new car? A brand new house? Nah. A brand new wife?
Go for “I was still feeling.”
Cytat: Janski
(1)the temporal adverbial in (3) would set the sequence of events strait

Ojojoj, co to się stanęło?
The continuous tense form, in addition to other functions it serves, is a stativizer: it takes a verb (any verb) and makes a state out of it. (...)
But the power of the progressive is enough to change that: it transforms the stative verb root “feel” into a dynamic verb

Que?
Cytat:
Que?

Can't you feel the power of the progressive? ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓
Cant' you be feeling, my dear Zielonosiwy.
Cytat: zielonosiwy
Cytat:
Que?

Can't you feel the power of the progressive? ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓

Nice ears. I didn't know you can do it like that with the punctuation marks and symbols. It is a very educational forum. I learn something useful every day. :-).
So do I!
Cytat: mg
The continuous tense form, in addition to other functions it serves, is a stativizer: it takes a verb (any verb) and makes a state out of it. (...)
But the power of the progressive is enough to change that: it transforms the stative verb root “feel” into a dynamic verb

Que?

Yeas, it does.
"Que?" in my neck of the woods requires a "please" to deserve an answer. Only simpletons don't know that.
Which of the two contradictory statements have you just answered in the affirmative?
Cytat: mg
Which of the two contradictory statements have you just answered in the affirmative?

1.The progressive is a stativizer.
2.It makes the nature of a stative verb dynamic when a stative is used in the progressive form.
3. You are a simpleton.
you're back to your former pathetic self, Janski.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.