Grammatical sloppiness

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
From The Guardian 2nd June 2007
Recruiters say grammatical sloppiness is depressingly common among young job seekers - could you do any better?
See if you can spot the grammar, punctuation and spelling mistakes in this text:

Managements wants to introduce new measures to combat the noticable increase in sick leave. The average annual number of sick days has risen from 5 to 10 which is seen as a considerable embarassment to the new HR director. But I wonder if the responsibility should lay solely with her? And even if management does agree who's responsibility the problem is they also have a seperate -and justified concern that any action taken should be carefully-considered.

Meanwhile, although the employees are hoping for a decent pay rise its likely that their going to be disappointed. The CEOs arguement is that they got one last year and there's been no corresponding improvement in performance so he's not prepared to consider another rise. He said "The pay rise has had the opposite affect. People have become more lethargic, since we started paying them more." However other board directors might feel that higher pay will accelarate performance, although it will take time.

Whatever happens with regard to pay rises, the principle point here is that it's time the Board announced it's decision. The uncertainty is effecting staff morale, less people than expected are supporting company events, as theres a general feeling that the responsibility for making these events a success is not their's.
What I have spotted :

1) grammar : lay responsibility ON sb, not with. ; management is an uncountable noun; principle point => principal

2) punctuation: 'which is seen as a considerable embarassment to the
new HR director'. - there should be a comma before the which because the which clause donates an additional information; I guess it should be HR. director, but I'm not sure. ; 'But I wonder if the responsibility should lay solely
with her?' - this is not a question. The question mark is redundant and I think there should be a comma after "but". ; And even if management does agree who's responsibility the problem is they also have a seperate - this sentence lacks three commas; two to set off the "even if" and one to set the introductory phrase ( a comma after "responsibility". Not to mention that who's should be whose.; separete -and justified concern - and justified is a parenthesis, so we need another dash.; carefully-considered - no dash.;

>Meanwhile, although the employees are hoping for a decent pay rise - this is an introductory phrase - a comma needed; The CEOs => CEO's.; rise its
likely => it's, not its. ; they're going to be.., not their.; lethargic, since we started => comma not needed.; However other board directors might => a comma needed :P; making these events a success is not their's.=> theirs.;
performance so he's not prepared to consider another rise. => so needs a comma

effecting staff morale => affecting.
morale, less people => less? :-) a full stop needed instead of the comma.

3. lot's of spelling errors : embarrassment, accelerating etc. I'm to lazy to hunt for the now.

I have a headache because of that ;(
^ this text is in a mess. I hope you can read it. :-)
lol, and I made a few punctuation errors. Jeez... where is an edit button?:I
sorry for your headache-but this is a copy of a consultant's report to management.
I think you got most of the others.
> lay responsibility ON sb, not with- 'lay' is the wrong verb - it should be 'lie' - ...he responsibility should lie solely with her
...not less people - fewer..
The article says that anyone who went to school between the late 60s and the late 90s is part of a 'lost generation', when it comes to any formal education in grammar and puctuation. Both were missing from the UK school curriculum for more than 30 years.
Both *were missing from the UK school curriculum for more than 30 years.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa - tłumaczenia

»

Pomoc językowa