don't have / have no

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 53
poprzednia |
Dobry wieczór. Jak w temacie - chciałbym się dowiedzieć, która forma jest poprawniejsza oraz którą kiedy stosować.
Dla przykładu:

I don't have a son / I have no son.
She hasn't a job / She has no job.
I don't need your help / I need no help.

W nawiązaniu do ostatniego czasownika, i żeby nie zakładać nowego tematu - czy to prawda, że need może występować albo jako czasownik zwykły, albo modalny? W takim razie mogę powiedzieć I needn't zamiast I don't need?

Dziękuję z góry.
tu jest dosyc dobrze wylozone:
myenglishteacher.eu/ask/question/difference-between-i-dont-have-and-i-have-no/
'no' zamiast normalnego przeczenie jest bardziej emfatyczne, mniej formalne
'hasn't a job' to jest forma wyjątkowa dla British English, normalnie sie powie 'she doesn't have a job'
'need' jako czasownik modalny tylko w przeczeniu
A tu odnosnie I needn't i I don't need:
bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv317.shtml
Cytat: zielonosiwy
'need' jako czasownik modalny tylko w przeczeniu

w pytaniu rowniez moze wystapic
Cytat: krzychu1988r

W nawiązaniu do ostatniego czasownika, i żeby nie zakładać nowego tematu - czy to prawda, że need może występować albo jako czasownik zwykły, albo modalny? W takim razie mogę powiedzieć I needn't zamiast I don't need?

kiedy mowa o czasowniku w twoim ostatnim przykladzie, tutaj nigdy nie bedzie problemu - czasownik modalny moze wystapic TYLKO z innym czasownikiem po nim wystepujacym, a tutaj masz czasownik zwykly przechodni, czyli taki, po ktorym wystepuje dopelnienie (your help):
vt: need + object; do(es) not need + object; do(es) + need + object?

vi: need to do; do(es) not need to do; do(es) + need to do?
m: NIE need do; need not (needn't) do; need do?
Cytat: engee30

W twierdzeniu także może. ;-) Jednak to już nie są przypadki, które teraz powinny interesować autora wątku.

Start from here: In each of these pairs, what do the nouns in question (son, job, help) really mean?

If you are not sure, try from the other end: are they respectively countable? specific? definite?

Example: Is son countable in I don’t have a son?.
Is son specific in I don’t have a son?
Is son definite in I don’t have a son?

Next, exercise the other one from the same pair: I have no son.
Is son in no son countable?...specific? …definite?

Then the remaining two pairs.
Cytat: Rydzio

W twierdzeniu także może. ;-)

zle slowo dobralem, wystapic - czasownik modalny 'need' nie jest stosowany w zdaniach twierdzacych, stad zdanie:
We need look elsewhere to find a better solution.
bedzie uznane za niepoprawne
ale ponizsze:
Need we look elsewhere...?
czy
We needn't look elsewhere...
juz nie.
Cytat: Janski

Start from here: In each of these pairs, what do the nouns in question (son, job, help) really mean?

If you are not sure, try from the other end: are they respectively countable? specific? definite?

Example: Is son countable in I don’t have a son?.
Is son specific in I don’t have a son?
Is son definite in I don’t have a son?

Next, exercise the other one from the same pair: I have no son.
Is son in no son countable?...specific? …definite?

Then the remaining two pairs.

Off topic. How much did you have to drink last night?
zle slowo dobralem, wystapic - czasownik modalny 'need' nie jest stosowany w zdaniach twierdzacych, stad zdanie:
We need look elsewhere to find a better solution.
bedzie uznane za niepoprawne
ale ponizsze:
Need we look elsewhere...?
czy
We needn't look elsewhere...
juz nie.

Zmień w tym twierdzeniu elsewhere na anywhere i zdanie z need jako modalnym będzie poprawne.
edytowany przez Rydzio: 26 sie 2018
Cytat:
We need look anywhere to find a better solution.

Uważasz, że to zdanie jest poprawne, Rydziu?
Tak. Need jako czasownik modalny jest ograniczony do "nonassertive contexts" - anywhere to nonassertive form i chociaż takie zdania są rzadkie, to całkowicie poprawne. Inny przykład: Standards are LOWER than they need be.
Co ma to użycie 'need' do slowka 'anywhere'?
'need be' to zupełne inne zwierzę; to jest utarty zwrot
Napisałem przecież. Użycie need jako modala jest ograniczone do nonassertive contexts, to jest takich, w których występują nonassertive items, a do nich należy anywhere, zatem zdanie jest poprawne.
Napisałem przecież. Użycie need jako modala jest ograniczone do nonassertive contexts, to jest takich, w których występują nonassertive items, a do nich należy anywhere, zatem zdanie jest poprawne.
Cytat: zielonosiwy
Cytat:
We need look anywhere to find a better solution.

Uważasz, że to zdanie jest poprawne, Rydziu?

We need look nowhere to find a better solution, as we've got the best one already.
to zdanie jest piekne pod wzgledem poprawnosci i jasnosci uzycia

'Anywhere' nie jest w tym zdaniu non-assertive. Anywhere = gdziekolwiek.

mieszasz niestety skutek i przyczynę

anywhewre wystepuje nie tylko w non-assertive contexts. Jezeli wystepuje w assertive contexts, ma wtedy inne znaczenie. Wniosek: jezeli widzisz gdzies anywhere, to nie znaczy automatycznie, ze masz non-assertive context
Off topic. How much did you have to drink last night?

Not a drop. Now back to business:

Is ass specific in (1) and (2)? That's a legitimate question exploring the linguistic concept of specificity.

1.You have a big fat ass. (Specific or not?)
2.You don’t have a big fat ass (Specific or not?)

Are ass and tits countable in (3)?

3.You are not a lot of ass and tits. (Countables or not? Mind you, tits implies plurality hence apparently entail countability, but is its designatum plural here? Hint: Designatum is not.)

Next time, we will discuss the definiteness of your ass. I will have you know that possesive doesn't entail definiteness.
Every Polish ESL student must know these answers. These are the key to the understanding of the concepts of domain and scope within a domain. I am not kidding.
3.You are not a lot of ass and tits

I wonder what your problem is: are you in desperate need of some or you want to have some yourself? The Silence of the Lambs comes to mind...
For a moment I thought you had no shame but I remembered that you disappread from the forum after I'd exposed your incompetence in this thread: https://www.ang.pl/forum/pomoc-jezykowa/257913
So you do seem to have some shame after all.
Skoro jesteśmy na POLSKIM forum to dlaczego część z was pisze po angielsku? Mnie osobiście łatwiej czyta się wyjaśnienia gramatyczne po polsku. Przecież gdybym chciał czytać po angielsku to logiczne że nie zakładałbym tematu tutaj.
bo niektórzy są Anglikami/Amerykanami itp. a poza tym czasem łatwiej wyjaśnia się coś po angielsku. Zawsze możesz prosić o wytłumaczenie po polsku.

What's negated in ...don't have a...?
What's negated in ...have no...?

Consider the three scenarios:

(1) A policeman knocks on your door. He shows you a picture of some young man and says, "We are looking for this man. We believe he is your son. Where is he?"
You answer: "I don't have a son."

(2) Father to his son: "I have no son (in you)."

(3) Father to his son: "I don't have a son."

Can you figure out what's going on in each?
Cytat:
So you do seem to have some shame after all.

Einstein has not taught you physics; Chopin has not trained your ear.
You are one of those who live fools and will die fools.
Well, Janski, no hard feelings, but If you treat others like idiots, expect to be treated like one too.

But now to the point:

Cytat:

These are possible sentences because Einstein and Chopin do not refer to the people themselves but are rather synecdoches standing for Einstein's theories/thoughts/lectures and Chopin's music, respectively. These, unlike the people, are not gone but are continuing into the present.

So you cannot say Einstein has developed two theories of relativity because here Einstein clearly refers to the person, who is dead and cannot develop anything any longer.

Your examples in the other thread were wrong for exactly the same reason.
Kurcze, ale się z tego dyskusja zrobiła.. Zakładając ten temat myślałem, że będzie pytanie-odpowiedź i zamykamy. Jeszcze raz proszę o pisanie po polsku, zwłaszcza to tyczy się użytkownika Janski.
quote]Well, Janski, no hard feelings, but If you treat others like idiots, expect to be treated like one too.[/quote]

You are a fool; no need to treat you as such.

Cytat:

Cytat:
These are possible sentences because Einstein and Chopin do not refer to the people themselves but are rather synecdoches standing for Einstein's theories/thoughts/lectures and Chopin's music, respectively. These, unlike the people, are not gone but are continuing into the present.

Specifically, METONYMY.

Haydn didn't write his name in the history books because he didn't have the darn books handy (do we?). If we do, we did it for him because of what he wrote.

Whenever a metonymical sense can be found…find it. But it takes more than you got.

Cytat:
So you cannot say Einstein has developed two theories of relativity because here Einstein clearly refers to the person, who is dead and cannot develop anything any longer.

Yes, I can. Read and learn:
Who has ever developed more than one theory of relativity of something or other? Hmm. Let me see. Johny Smartass, the present chair of the APA has done seven, his younger brother (now the vice chair thereof) has struck two, Einstein has developed two theories of relativity. Who else? Even you have written more than once about the gradable images of unimaginables.

Cytat:
Your examples in the other thread were wrong for exactly the same reason.

Metonymy aside, only prototypical sentence subjects are normally agents and topics at the same time. "Only Haydn… "and "Even Haydn…", for example, are explicitly not prototypical and the sentences they head do not have to be about the subjects (and are not, more often than not.)

You are a fool, as I said before.
edytowany przez Janski: 01 wrz 2018
Kurcze, ale się z tego dyskusja zrobiła.. Zakładając ten temat myślałem, że będzie pytanie-odpowiedź i zamykamy. Jeszcze raz proszę o pisanie po polsku, zwłaszcza to tyczy się użytkownika Janski.

Now try saying the same in English. Good effort spent is something learnt.

Now try saying the same in English. Good effort spent is something learnt.

I'm so suprised that my topic caused such disscusion. Creating it I thought there would be question-repeat and we will close. One more time I please everybody to write in Polish, especially it referrs to the user Janski.
PS. I speak english in general (I can talk about daily activities), but about grammar truly I prefer to consulte in polish. I hope you don't feel discouraged becuase of it.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 53
poprzednia |