- Imagine that you write to a real friend of yours.
- Friends usually have names ;-) so address him/her with a name: begin the letter with Dear Joey/ Tim /Rebecca, etc.
- Begin your letter with some general statements. Refer to the letter you have received from your friend and thank him/her for it or apologise for the fact that you have not answered the last letter soon enough.
- Use the proper register. The letter is supposed to be informal so you can use contractions, informal linking words like well, by the way, anyway, so, colloquial expressions, etc.
- You can use more-conversation-like statements or questions in your letter: You know that I had this exam, right? You think he will be able to come to the party?
- Use questions to ask about your friend - arrange the next meeting, send greetings to his/her friends and family, etc.
- End your letter in informal way: Best wishes; Love; Regards. Instead of these phrases you may put two XXs. They indicate sending kisses ;-)
- Thank you for your letter. It was nice to hear from you.
- Your last letter was a real surprise. It was so nice of you to remember about...
- Thanks a lot for the information you've sent me in your last letter.
- I've just received your letter. I'm so happy to hear that...
- I'm sorry I haven't answered earlier but I was really busy with my school.
- I'm sorry I haven't written for so long but...
- Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
- Well, that's all for now. Will talk to you soon.
- Give my regards to your Mummy.
- I hope we will be able to arrange a get-together.
- Do write back as I'm waiting for the news from you.
Q: You are abroad spending your holidays in a very exciting places you have always wanted to visit. The people you travel with are really nice so you enjoy their companionship. Write a letter to your friend describing what you have been doing so far and what you still plan to do.
Thank you a lot for your last letter. It was a nice surprise to hear from you. I'm sorry I haven't written to you earlier but I had to organise some things concerning my trip.
As you probably remember I've always wanted to visit some unusual places. And now, at last, off I went! But you'd never guess where I've chosen to spend my holiday. It's Antarctica! You would never think of it, would you? I'm so excited about the whole event!
The people I travel with are incredible. It's their fourteenth expedition there. They know every path in the snow by heart and they are very helpful. They share their knowledge and experience with me. Would you believe that here everything is different? You even need to set your tent in a special way. It's all very challenging. Tomorrow we plan to move further North so I may not be able to stay in touch for a while.
Anyway, I'd like to meet you when I get back. Hope you are enjoying your holiday. Do write back soon.
Egzaminy Cambridge, zagadnienia: